Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just had my local optometrist fit me for semi-sclerals. I think I am getting 15mm. When he first put them in-OMG!!!!! It was bliss. I should have them in about 2 weeks. The vision plan through my husband's work is paying for them. I have other conditions that allow it b/c dryness is not one of the codes they accept.
    I am just a tiny bit concerned b/c mine are not THAT expensive. I think, with fitting, they will be around 1200.
    Keep you posted

Comment

I see ballpark figures on this thread for scleral lenses for about $1200 and $2500. I am deciding whether to get PROSE scleral lenses. Here is my predicament: the process for making, fitting and training me how to use PROSE lenses at Weill Cornell in NY costs $10,000. My health insurance may cover 80% of the cost, but there is no guarantee that it will cover it at all. My insurance plan has no pre-authorization process, and I would not know how much, if any of it, would be covered until Weill Cornell bills them. But Weill Cornell won't bill them until I sign a contract with them that I will be responsible for the entire $10K if the insurance company doesn't pay. Weill Cornell says that my insurance company typically pays $7,000-$7,500 of the cost, but they cannot guarantee that the insurance company will pay.

So, I am not sure how to proceed. After seeing much lower costs than 10K quoted here, I am wondering if Weill Cornell's charges are out of line and if I should look for a place that is less expensive. Are all PROSE lenses this expensive? Are there other kinds of scleral lenses I should investigate?

Thanks for any suggestions!
      Judy

Comment

Scleral lens

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
        Have you done a search on Scleral Lens Practitioners? I have the Boston Scleral Lens, which i (obviously) obtained from BFS.

I believe there are others who do fit scleral lens. I'm thinking of a doc in Fla and will post it here if I think of it. Where are you located? I doubt you'll have to fly to Britian to try these. Unless you just want to travel.
        Do you know about what the cost is on the scleral lens? My dr said we might try that next. My insurance doesn't pay anything. Do you get plain ones or prescription ones?

Comment

Such good information! Does anyone know of a good doctor for this in South Or Central Florida???

Comment

You could try using the Doctor Locater feature at www.wavecontactlenses.com This will identify doctors in your area who do custom RGPs; and they may also do sclerals. If they don't, they may be able to identify local doctors who do sclerals.

Good luck . . .

Comment

Bascom Palmer Eye Institute has a new occular surface center at their Plantation Florida location .They are a Bostonsight Prose Provider.
              The Medical Director is Dr. Victor Perez and Dr. Priscilla Sotomayor is the Prose Clinician.
              I have been a patient at Bascom Palmer ever since radiation therapy caused my dry eye and I recently started wearing a Prose lens.
              I hope this helps

Comment

Working...
              X