This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What To Do Next?

Punctal plugs, Restasis, autologous serum, allergy drops, warm compresses, lacriserts, shades, doxy, omega 3's and a dozen other supplements - I've been using all of them and still in constant pain 24/7, I figure I need to try something new but not sure if there is really anything left. Where do I go from here? do I need to find a new doc? do I need to just accept where I'm at?

I'd consider trying to get a referral to another ophthamologist to see if they say the same thing as your current doc re: Health Canada coverage of scleral lenses.

Comment

Scleral lenses may be my next step, some people have had success with them and others not so much.

The cost is my main concern right now, to get a good fit I figure it could be in the tens of thousands of dollars if going to someplace like BFS - if going to a local doc I'd probably just be spending 1000's for something that really does'nt stand a chance from the get go.

Anyways, this dry eye thing is so frustrating! The majority of my posts really get me no where, but for some reason posting makes me feel just a little bit better.

Comment

Originally posted by SAAG View Post
        I'd consider trying to get a referral to another ophthamologist to see if they say the same thing as your current doc re: Health Canada coverage of scleral lenses.
        Yes, I would like to see some more opthamologists, tried a bunch before I found the one I'm seeing right now who has actually tried quite a few things - figure it will be a lot of work to find one that will go even further. Think I need to step up my work ethic a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemia
          Sclerals are a good idea to try but have you considered seeking help regarding your eye pain.
          Pain drugs seem to dry out the eyes, massage therapy seems to help with relaxing me and seems to relieve a bit of pain for a short period of time. Along with the pain comes blurred vision and sensitivity to light, I think my problems are mainly with the dry eye and damaged vision due to lasik. Increasing my current cyclosporin from .05% to .1% or higher may be an option - sclerals also seem to be like they could make a difference - just have to find a doc that is willing to go these routes.

Comment

I am really sorry you're still "there", Aaron. You're one of the ones here who really got the lasik jackpot.

Can you elaborate on your vision?

Sclerals can be a really good 'combo solution' for LASIK vision + dry eye issues. Sounds like you'd be going in with tempered expectations which is good. Might really surprise you.

I'm looking over your list and wondering if there might be a bit of the overdoing-it issue going on? Have these things been consistently unhelpful? Any reason to keep taking them?
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Been There

Hey aaron77 keep your chin up it took me 1 year to get my eyes back to where I could even return to work I had a awful time after lasik to be honest I am not sure what helped me as I tried everything I could. even went to boston to get lens however they diagnosed me as having nerve pain I was put on amitriplene that seemed to get me over the hump on eye pain now 2 yrs after lasik I would say my eyes are ok most days with a bad day every now and then I have not used any eye drops for about the last 10 months. so hopefully you will see improvement soon.

Comment

RE: scleral lenses in Canada

There is supposedly someone in Halifax NS doing scleral lenses covered by Health Canada. I'm sorry I don't have any more info than that measly amount!

I know that Canadians can go to BFS and have the lenses covered (not the travel, hotel, food while there, etc). It's just a matter of having an ophthalmologist who is on the ball and will do the paperwork for you.

Good luck,
                Sheila

Comment

RE: steroid drops

I didn't see steroid drops on your list. I'm not pushing them but they're the only thing that helps me when my eyes are at their worst.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post

Can you elaborate on your vision?

Sclerals can be a really good 'combo solution' for LASIK vision + dry eye issues. Sounds like you'd be going in with tempered expectations which is good. Might really surprise you.

I'm looking over your list and wondering if there might be a bit of the overdoing-it issue going on? Have these things been consistently unhelpful? Any reason to keep taking them?
                    Vision problems include blurred vision with computer use, typical post lasik night vision problems, really sensitive to sunlight, eye strain, vision that changes with blinking.

Punctal plugs, Restasis, doxy, omega 3's and supplements along with lubricating tear drops is what I use daily. The autologous serum, allergy drops, warm compresses, and lacriserts are used just sometimes when I feel I just need to try something else. I wear shades almost all the time at work, 50/50's a lot of the time at night - worn for my light sensitivity problems and because I don't want everybody to see a bad my eyes look. Sometimes take alphagan when i want the extra confidence of clear white eyes.

Comment

Found this article today: Management of dysfunctional tear syndrome: a Canadian concensus

Looks like some people here in Canada are open to the idea of scleral lenses for dry eye relief.

http://article.pubs.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/R...pf=i09-015.pdf

http://www.tripdatabase.com/doc/9791...dian-consensus

Comment

Well, sclerals are what I'm banking on as my last hope for eyes that can perform close to normal... so I sure as hell hope that Health Canada will pay for them... even for post-Lasik people like us.

I see my doc next week and plan to ask him about it... /crossing fingers

I would not be able to handle full time work in my current state... although I don't want to work full-time right this minute, I'd like to at least be capable of doing it again in future!

Comment

Working...
                        X