This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scleral lens

Where do you go to get cheap sceral lens like cheaper than the ones in Boston.

I doubt there are any "cheap" scleral lenses. They are custom, oversized RGP lenses fitted by very experienced lens fitters . . . good luck . . .

Comment

BFS is a nonprofit, their BOSP treatment is unique and they have a unique (and high) cost if insurance doesn't cover it and you don't qualify for financial aid.

There are a great many private optometry practices around the country who fit some kind or another of commercial scleral lens, usually for keratoconus. Fees vary greatly. I think the price range I hear of the most is $2,000-$4,000, but i'm sure there are probably some lower.

If you start googling "scleral lens fitters" you may find some near you. One link to start from might be http://www.sclerallens.org/. They don't have many fitters listed, but you could call them perhaps and ask.

Word to the wise... Scleral lenses - in the most generic sense - are not used broadly as a dry eye treatment. If you undergo this with a local optometrist, you should find out whether they have had success with any dry eye patients and ask to speak with one or more so you can learn what it's been like for them.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

RE: sclerals

Rebecca is so right (sclerals are not broadly used for dry eye treatment). I found out the hard way - on the last day of fitting and after having paid the full, non-refundable amount - that sclerals weren't for my dry eyes (I didn't care about vision correction. I wanted pain relief).

I think someone on DEZ posted that he/she did some tests with sclerals prior to actually paying for them. I recommend to people now that they find someone who allows a "test drive" prior to committing to (i.e, paying for) them.

Good luck.
        Sheila

Comment

What about getting them from a Halloween website for like100 bucks. Why can't I get them there?

Comment

Originally posted by ttdub View Post
            What about getting them from a Halloween website for like100 bucks. Why can't I get them there?

Comment

Working...
            X