This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Itchy eyes with Sclerals?

Does anyone using Sclerals get itchy eyes? Mine start within the first hour or two and continues until I remove them.

where did you get yours done?

Comment

Just outside Chicago.

Comment

I also sometimes get itchy and burning eyes upon removal and insertion, though not certain what is the cause.

Comment

I wear Wave RGPs, not sclerals.

My experience is that itching or irritation with rigid lenses is generally due to lenses that need better cleaning.

I use the Lobob Optimum Extra Strength Cleaner (ESC), and soak my lenses in Lobob Optimum Cleaning/Disinfecting/Soaking (C/D/S) solution. I use the ESC when I remove the lenses, and put a couple of drops of ESC into my lens cases before adding the C/D/S. After overnight soaking, I rinse, use ESC, rinse again, then wet the lenses with Unique PH. (The Unique PH is to "condition" the lens surfaces to improve comfort, and to kill any micro-organisms that might be present in tap water.)

Never, ever use abrasive cleaners. If the cleaning solution is not clear or is milky, don't use it - that's an indicator the solution has abrasives in it.

If better cleaning doesn't improve comfort, then talk to your OD about the lens fit - it may need adjustment. I don't know what might be wrong, but subtle edge changes can make or break the comfort of a lens. Your OD should be able to look at the lens on your eye and develop improvements.

Lastly, allergies can cause your eyes to deposit excess mucous on the lenses. Better cleaning (see above) will help, but get checked out for allergies too. I use Pataday drops daily, and Nasonex when I have allergy flare-ups.

Good luck . . .

Comment

It's a good point about cleaners. I use Lobob as well. And it may be worth trying different solutions in general. For example I absolutely cannot tolerate Boston solutions at all. My sclerals were soaked in some (I think anyway) when they were resurfaced recently. I rinsed them really, really, really carefully but it's never enough. I had to soak them in hydrogen peroxide for two days before I could tolerate them for more than an hour or two.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

I can see where different solutions could be an issue. I have used both the peroxide soak with the nutralizing block in the bottom (8 hour soak) and the most recent is RDS by Naturalens. There seems to be no difference between the two when it comes to fogging which happens within 45 minutes of use.

This last set of lenses has a hole in them, also. My doctor has become a bit less helpful since we are not getting any closer to a useable pair of lenses so my guess is the hole is there to help with tear flushing...? It doesn't help to have him 250 miles away, either. I did have the most recent pair of lenses in for 2 hours today with no itching but the fogging got so bad I had to remove them to function.

I'm beginning to think he's at the end of his ability to help me. I'm also guessing any kind of refund for lenses like these is out of the question, too? I'd like to visit Dr. G.

Comment

Working...
              X