This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holes?

I'm on my 7th or 8th set of semi-sclerals and still trying to find a good fitting set that doesn't haze over - vision has been poor with all of them. The most recent set arrived this weekend and I noticed there is a small hole in each lens. What's the purpose of that? Does it go to the top or bottom or will it find it's way to where it needs to be?

These are called fenestration holes and the purpose is to increase tear exchange. Need to talk to your doctor about the correct positioning of the holes.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Well, that didn't go as I thought it would. An email to my doctor came back with a short answer, "It doesn't make any difference".

What kind of answer is that to "Do the holes go at the top or bottom and is there anything else I need to know about the holes?

Maybe somebody here can provide more information than my doctor.
        He was very helpful until we stopped making progress. I don't think I'm a profitable patient.

Comment

I have fenestrated mini-sclerals as well (Blanchard MSD lenses). Your doctor's answer is correct although he/she could have elaborated a little. The reason it doesn't matter what position you insert them in is because they are designed to rotate into position after you insert them so that the holes will end up at the bottom. I recall my doctor telling me that my lenses are a designed to be a little "heavier" at the end the fenestration exists which is what ultimately causes the lens to rotate into position.

Be patient with your doctor and with your sclerals. Scleral lens fitting is never a simple process.

Comment

I'm trying to be patient. This will be the 8th 600 mile trip I've had to make and I can tell my doctor is getting a bit frustrated. So far I have had better vision without every lens I've tried, and that isn't saying much. I'm almost afraid to email him to say these are no better.

Comment

600 miles! Yikes!! I can certainly understand your frustration. I see you are here in the U.S.. Being that you are willing to travel such great distances, have you considered making a trip to Dr G in Coppell, TX to have custom sclerals made?

Comment

Originally posted by ALK-O'd View Post
                600 miles! Yikes!! I can certainly understand your frustration. I see you are here in the U.S.. Being that you are willing to travel such great distances, have you considered making a trip to Dr G in Coppell, TX to have custom sclerals made?

I dream of visiting Dr. G but I don't have the $ for the lenses. I had to borrow money from family to pay for these lenses... that aren't working. So, I can't see (figuratively) trying to borrow more money when I haven't finished paying back the first loan. So far I've travelled nearly 6000 miles for the current lenses and I feel I'm no closer to decent vision than I was with the first set. The whole thing is depressing.

Comment

Working...
                X