X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Programmer Happy with Scleral Lenses

Hello,

This is my first and possibly final post but during the months of Sept. 2010 - March 2011, I was constantly hovering around this forum and others looking for help. Given that my career was in jeopardy due to my eye problems (along with pretty much everything else), I decided to move as quickly as possible to resolve this problem.

I have a number of health problems which I usually attribute to an underlying immune-mediated disorder. I won't go into the details, but eventually this began to effect my eyes. At first, the prospect of dry eyes didn't concern me, but as a software engineer, it quickly became clear that this was going to become a debilitating problem. No matter what intervention I tried, I could only write code for a max of 4 hours, and I was in constant pain the entire time.

The therapies I tried before scleral lenses included many different types of drops, compresses, punctal plugs (all 4 puncta), lacriserts, goggles, etc. I'm sure I'm leaving some other ones out. The only therapy that really helped was punctal plugs, which provided enormous relief for several months, but eventually my eye disease progressed. Fortunately, I am a pessimist and assumed that would happen So I read everything I could about advanced therapies while I could still look at a computer screen.

Once I reached the point where no intervention helped, I immediately took 2 weeks off from work and flew to Houston to receive a pair of Boston Scleral Lenses. I was skeptical at first, but this was the only shot I had to save my career.

By the way, I hate doctors and am highly critical of them But in general I would say the Baylor eye docs are some of the best I've met so far in my health odyssey. One thing is for sure, I'm indebted to Dr. Rosenthal for these devices!

So I noticed a lot of people asking about "how effective are the sceral lenses work with computer". I couldn't find any answers before therapy, so I'm providing one now

Awesome. Really, really awesome. And this is coming from someone who stares at a computer for at least 8+ hours a day with minimal blinking.

I have no trouble programming now. I'm not entirely asymptomatic, particularly after long stinds, so on those occasions, I have to put in an eye drop, but I usually forget to take them to work and that's not a problem (bear in mind I was using them every 15 minutes at least previously).

These devices saved my livelihood, and on top of that I can watch movies, tv, etc. without having to use drops or close my eyes (and be in agony regardless).

I'd write more, but I need to head out. Good luck to everyone here, and thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Styx

P.S. I was originally concerned about the scleral lenses because I read a number of negative reviews on the internet; however, I quickly noticed that these are the same people posting over and over across multiple forums (I think one was named DryEyeQueen). I just wanted to let everyone know that I suspect most people who are treated with sclerals leave this forum and never come back, so don't be discouraged by the lack of positive posts. If you look at the medical literature, the therapeutic benefits for people with GVHD, Sjogren's etc. is astounding, and that information is not anecdotal.

How wonderful that you have found a way to deal with your dry eye and have a career! I just want to ask a couple of questions. Were you light sensitive to florescent light? Do you have trouble now keeping the lenses clean? I have Synergeyes and still have trouble with protein deposits and mucus. I'm sticking with my lenses for now, but in the future I might need something else.

Comment

sclerals for computer work

Actually, I'm interested in sclerals (BFS, Synergeyes, or others) for computer work in my career as well.

I have been told they cause / exacerbate Lid Wiper Epitheliopathy. I have also heard they can be very uncomfortable and make your eyes go beat red?

Also, are you tired at the end of the day of work? Do you have enough energy to go to the bar after work? Can you wear your contacts after work?

Thanks,

NME

Comment

Originally posted by Styx View Post

Awesome. Really, really awesome. And this is coming from someone who stares at a computer for at least 8+ hours a day with minimal blinking.

I have no trouble programming now. I'm not entirely asymptomatic, particularly after long stinds, so on those occasions, I have to put in an eye drop, but I usually forget to take them to work and that's not a problem (bear in mind I was using them every 15 minutes at least previously).

These devices saved my livelihood, and on top of that I can watch movies, tv, etc. without having to use drops or close my eyes (and be in agony regardless).
        Fabulous. Great to hear it.

I just hit my 5th anniversary. I talk to new scleral (PROSE, mostly) wearers frequently but don't often see them on the board. Great to hear from you.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Styx, That's great news about the sclerals in Texas. I don't need them now but I might in the future. I have heard it is harder to get good comfy sclerals in the dry eye population as opposed to others that need them (i.e. keratoconus) so I'm happy to read that you found success.

Did you try restasis? I am wondering since I too might have autoimmune related dry eye and I was kind of hoping restasis would stave off the dry eye progression somewhat.

Comment

Do you feel it has helped with your dry eye? I am thinking about making an appointment soon and seeing what can be done for me but want to see if it even helps.

Comment

Well, I'm back and still wearing sclerals

The sclerals have been fantastic over the past 9 months, but unfortunately, I have noticed some changes. It's still unclear to me whether this is due to a change in the lenses (which I doubt) or my eye disease continuing to progress.

NeedMyEyes, you may have been Nostradamus on the whole LWE thing. Very recently, I've started experiencing pain in my left upper lid while working at computers extensively. I believe that this is due to my left eye continuing to "dry out" and friction with the contact, but I'm not sure. I've also had some problems with the lenses becoming dirty. These are primarily problems with my left eye only, which is the drier of the two, and why I believe this is due to my eye disease continuing to worsen and not the contact.

To be clear though, these problems are trivial compared to those I had when not wearing the lenses, though the LWE thing does concern me a bit because drops aren't as helpful as I suspected at resolving the dull pain. I'm looking into it (if that's what I'm feeling).

When I first had the lenses put in, I was able to remove my lower plugs (the uppers are cauterized). Recently, I had the left lower put back in.

I still don't know what I would do without sclerals. In response to others posts:
              1) I typically find that after work I can go do pretty much anything social and be fine as long as I use a few drops here and there. I date a lot after work now that I'm not in huge glasses anymore (and, moreover, can actually make eye contact).
              2) I do have problems with the lenses getting dirty, but it's not a huge problem. A drop of Refresh knocks it out for awhile.
              3) I did try Restasis. I'm pretty unimpressed with that drug and it boggles the mind why it was approved by the FDA and is being prescribed. It doesn't appear to be very dangerous (which is why I imagine it was approved), but the clinical trials demonstrate that it's not very effective either.

Styx

Comment

Just to clarify one thing: the discomfort from wearing the lenses and not wearing the lenses while working at a computer is night and day. The lens discomfort is nothing compared to the constant burning sensation I used to feel. Up until recently, I didn't notice the scleral lens was in my eye at all and experienced no discomfort. I'm still a bit confused as to why I've had some new discomfort in my left eye, but I'm going to have it looked at in Houston.

Comment

Styx, I'm very happy to see the lenses are still working well for you.

Originally posted by Styx View Post
                  I've started experiencing pain in my left upper lid while working at computers extensively. I believe that this is due to my left eye continuing to "dry out" and friction with the contact, but I'm not sure. I've also had some problems with the lenses becoming dirty. These are primarily problems with my left eye only, which is the drier of the two, and why I believe this is due to my eye disease continuing to worsen and not the contact.
                  Interesting.

I too have a left-eye-only problem involving lid discomfort and increased deposits on the lens. For those of us who can't go very long without the lenses, we have no adequate way to determine what's the lens vs what's disease progression. (For me though my right eye is the driest not the left.) It's been too long - 5.5 years in fact - for me to remember but I kind of think I first started having problems with that left lid less than a year from when I started wearing them.

For me, the closest I can get to understanding it is a sort of GPC type thing. (That's not supposed to be unilateral, but whatever. I had some 'issues' with the left eye way back in the dark ages with my soft lenses too which I am sure were related.) Doctors, apropos of another thread here... different considerably about what it is and what to do about it. The doctor whose opinion I most value on corneal disease concurred that it's a type of GPC though. These days, I don't bother asking a doctor about it because while in the past I used to attack it with a variety of Rx drops when it got bad enough that I couldn't wear the lens, I am finally in a place where I seem to have a strong enough sense of the pattern that I can prevent it before it gets bad enough to need medical intervention. I don't like drugs, and I do like prevention, so I'm pleased to be 'there' even if it involves sometimes going for a day or two without the lenses, which is tough both from a pain and vision standpoint (can't drive, work etc). But it's what it takes and that's OK.

Good luck getting to the bottom of yours. From my own experience and observation of others, I would encourage you to avoid overwear.

I have this vague recollection from a movie seen ages ago (was it deep blue sea?) with these scary incredibly intelligent sharks, and this gal towards the end who's about to make herself bait for one of them, says something like, "No matter how smart you are, you're still just an animal!". So with PROSE/sclerals in general. It's a miracle device for many people, but at the end of the day, no matter how great, it's also still just a big hard foreign object in your eye! It doesn't do to overdo it.
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

It was just nice not having to think about my eyes for 9 months. I got spoiled

Have you had your pair replaced? I agree that the hardest part is distinguishing between whether my eyes are just getting worse or something has changed with the contacts, and it would seem replacing the lenses might narrow the problem space. I am going to have this checked out in Houston next month, and I'll report back with what they find.

Are there published guidelines on wearing time or do you just develop an individualized gut feel?

I'm also interested in the RX drops you used and any other information, and I'll report back with my progress. I guess GPC wouldn't surprise me. And Rebecca, thanks again for the site; I don't think I've said that to you directly. It's been a phenomenal resource.

I love the Deep Blue Sea analogy

Comment

Update: I think at this point, it's doubtful my scleral experience will be very useful to anyone given how confounded and bizarre it has been. Oh well. I'm still here looking for advice and to share.

I wore my scleral lenses for ~6 months very happily from sunrise to sunset and even removed my lower punctal plugs in both eyes. During those 6 months, I was essentially completely asymptomatic with the lenses. Then the pain started in my left upper lid. I continued to wear the lenses for probably 4 more months and used drops frequently to combat the pain. I then discontinued wearing the lenses, and interestingly, realized I didn't really need them. I was in less pain now without the lenses, though I have had to make sure I have my lower punctal plug in my left eye (so both plugged on the left, only upper on the right).

I realize that sounds a bit outlandish, and the first conclusion to jump to is that my eyes were never that bad, but it's not the simple.

Over the last year, I've been on and off an impressive assortment of potent immunosuppressants. These include moderate doses of azathioprine and rituximab. Before I had sclerals, I underwent a round of high-dose corticosteroids w/ pulses of methotrexate. So my experience is confounded to say the least, and there is little doubt in my mind that my dry eye symptoms are immune-mediated.

We still don't have a name for the immune-mediated condition I have, but it seems likely that I've developed secondary sjogren's syndrome as a result. The latter has largely been unresponsive to immunosuppressive therapy, but I'm compelled to think that it may have had a positive effect on my dry eyes. They were really bad back in March of '11, and now they're not as bad (with plugs).

But Rebecca, what's really surprising is that my "dry eye" symptoms have improved (much less burning, very little difficulty keeping my eyes open despite ample time in front of a computer), yet the "painful lid" symptoms have continued to worsen despite not wearing the scleral lenses for months. Of course, wearing the lenses exacerbates the pain considerably. I do still wear the lenses socially on occasion, and the upper-left lid pain is very significant. So I'm compelled to think that the lid symptoms are a part of my primary disease and not due to the contacts, though the latter is still possible I suppose.

Weird. Oh well. At least my biggest problem is that I wish I were in less pain when I wore the lenses socially Knock on wood.

Rebecca, I apologize for my arrogant comments earlier and in other threads; late-December, early-January was a tough time for me. I'm doing much better now though, and I aim to stay that way

P.S. I am in no way advocating that people start doing rounds of potent immunosuppressive drugs to improve their dry eye. From what I've read in the literature, it seems super unlikely to improve the condition, though I am a bit flummoxed by my own experience :/ If I had to guess which drug improved my symptoms the most, I would guess azathioprine. There is precious little data on azathioprine and dry eye in the literature, but I just find it hard to believe that it improved my condition given the poor results that cyclophosphamide has had on dry eyes in anecdotal studies I've read...

Comment

Quick clarification: I certainly wore punctal plugs before I was wearing scleral lenses as well as now, so again I can't explain why my dry eye symptoms have improved aside from immunosuppressive therapy (or spontaneous).

Comment

Oh, another thing I know there is a lot of excitement in the literature about rituximab and Sjogren's. Indeed, I was excited to use it because of the effect it could have on Sjogren's and the primary condition we think I have.

Well, it certainly didn't help with my primary condition, and I think my eyes were doing better before I even started it after about 9 months of therapy with azathioprine. Azathioprine has been very effective at treating my primary condition, and the timing also coincides well with my ocular improvement, hence why I'm attributing the improvement to azathioprine, if anything.

Comment

Dear Styx,

Do you mean that your DES being improved by the scleral lens please? ......Will the sand paper sensation being eased too after removal of the lens please?

Comment

Hi Styx! Great to hear from you. What a story. Dontcha wish these things would be just a little less variable and challengin sometimes?

Just realized you'd posted a couple of questions back in December that I never answered. I have not had my lenses replaced, but I did send them in for new plasma some months ago when I was having a really bad flare-up. Had to be out of the lenses for a couple of weeks I think all told. It was rough. And, "Are there published guidelines on wear time"... can't imagine there are. It's so individualized. It's taken me a long time to find the right balance and even now I mess up, sometimes because I ignore the signs of worsening just because I'm so busy I don't want to take my lenses out, or whatever.

Very interesting about the apparent divorce of your corneal vs eyelid symptoms. So glad to hear the cornea part of the equation is doing better at least. Before I got to the part where you said the lid symptoms worsened even without the sclerals I was thinking about this issue which I've run across with other people before... the delicate balance dry eye scleral lens patients have to achieve, as they try to avoid worsening the lids while improving the cornea. - Also I was thinking of how with some people, it seems like a long stretch in sclerals may actually improve dryness symptoms, almost like wearing crutches for awhile while you're healing. Not feeding the inflammatory cycle if you will? Something like that. Anyway might be irrelevant here but it came to mind.

Wish your lid pain could get further pinned down though. Any chance any substances might be contributing? Just throwing out an example again... Some years ago I tried Sterilid. (Great product, I know a lot of people using it successfully.) Apparently by coincidence I starting having significant left lid pain. Sore, tender. Never seriously thought it could be the Sterilid but I discontinued just in case. Then started up again. Repeat process. Again. Yup, it was the Sterilid. It did not make sense (why would it affect just my left lid anyway?) yet - after I saw cause & effect consistently enough times I couldn't escape the fact. Sometimes problems can come from unexpected sources.
                              Rebecca Petris
                              The Dry Eye Foundation
                              dryeyefoundation.org
                              800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                              X