This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Scleral Lenses

Has anyone tried these for dry eye? If so, any feedback or comparisons to the BFS lenses?

I've never heard of 'mini scleral lenses'. Where do you get info on them? How little are they?

Comment

I suggest that you check out Dr. Gemoules' web site, 'global refractive solutions'. Mini sclerals are a slightly smaller version of the full scleral lenses. I believe that based on the shape of your eye, the status of your eye (dry, corneal scaring . . . ) and your vision needs, an optometrist would decide which lens would best suit you. Both the full scleral and the mini scleral use a similar gas permeable plastic to make the lens.

Have a look here for more information:

http://www.globalrefractivesolutions...rallenses.html

P. S. I don't think anyone should be discouraged by the size of the full scleral. In the situation of dry eye, it may be more advantageous to have a full scleral lens. This would allow for a larger reservoir to be filled with fluid, which would in turn protect the cornea. I highly recommend that you contact Dr. Gemoules directly if you have any questions. I have done this myself and have found him to be very personable, knowledgable and compassionate. I am in fact off to see him next week. . . And no, I am not receiving any benefits by promoting his services. I think if you check through this web site and "laser my eye.com" you will see that Dr. Gemoules has gained an outstanding reputation as a scleral lens fitter. Feel free to send me a PM if you have additional questions.
      Last edited by Hopeful2; 22-Sep-2011, 08:05. Reason: more detail

Comment

I've gone through a couple of different mini-scleral lenses (Blanchard MSD 16mm). I needed them primarily for night vision problems that were a result from refractive surgery. But I am also a dry eye sufferer as well.

My first pair were fenestrated (made with a single tiny hole to prevent suction from occurring against the eye). These lenses were fantastic from a vision perspective but did nothing for my dry eye. In fact, my eyes would actually get quite dry and irritated having them in vs not wearing them at all. I used these for a year and then switched one eye to a SynergEyes lens and the other to a non-fenestrated mini scleral (same brand, same 16mm size, no hole). Removing the fenestration did make somewhat of a noticeable difference. This lens seems to do a better job holding the fluid against my eye and actually make my eye feel pretty darn good for about an hour. But after that I think the fluid underneath dissipates because my eye then begins to feel somewhat dry and irritated (though not as bad as it was with the fenestrated lenses). Using drops does help to extend my wear time so that I can have a few hours of decent vision in the evening when I need it. But ultimately I would not consider mini-sclerals to be of any real value as a mode of therapy for severe dry eye. I just don't think they are big enough to hold enough fluid against the eye to relieve dry-eye for extended periods. If your main reason for seeking out large diameter RGPs is for severe dry eye therapy, I think full sized sclerals are going to be the best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by ALK-O'd View Post
          I just don't think they are big enough to hold enough fluid against the eye to relieve dry-eye for extended periods. If your main reason for seeking out large diameter RGPs is for severe dry eye therapy, I think full sized sclerals are going to be the best bet.
          Well put... I agree with this
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks for your input. I figured this was the case. I actually I am not specifically seeking out mini-sclerals, but I cannot find any full scleral providers in the Chicago area.

Comment

Working...
            X