Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Boston's scleral lenses covered in Canada?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One last thing... I'd heard ages ago from someone here (don't remember who) that they thought you could get the Boston Scleral lenses in Halifax... anyhow, I just got off the phone with Nancy at BFS, and she confirmed that NO, there are not any sites within Canada fitting their lenses at this time. (Just thought this might be a way to get them covered by Health Canada... but nope... another dead end)

Comment

Originally posted by Hopeful2 View Post
      Assistive devices Ontario covers prosthetic scleral shells. I have a phone call to them. . .Hopefully will get good news.

https://ozone.scholarsportal.info/bi...9/1/257852.pdf
      Sounds promising!! /fingers crossed for you!

Comment

I think you are right. I just read the pdf file more closely and it looks like the prosthetic devices need to be purchased in Ontario to be covered by the assistive devices program.

I will check with OHIP and my contact out here.

Comment

Ooo... I was hoping it was just if it was through Health Canada that you needed to get them fitted within the Canada...

Comment

Hi I have spoken to someone who went to one of the partner clinics in the US and not only had the lenses covered but also a second back up pair. The BFS may not know what Canadians have been able to get covered when they go to the partner clinics as they are seperate centers. I think what each province seems to be covering or not covering is very different and based on their own legislation. I feel like we are still at the point of having to really fight for coverage and make this treatment easier for others to get covered in the future. This discussion has motivated me to try and push for the treatment to be covered in my province. I will go either way if I am a candidate but many others would not be able to go without it being at least partially covered.
            Last edited by canndym; 12-Oct-2011, 19:06.

Comment

Working...
            X