This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to LA for PROSE

I am happy to say that after a lot of paper work and red tape I have been approved for funding from my province to go to LA for PROSE lenses. I know there are other Canadians out there trying to get coverage fro PROSE keep fighting it does happen. I am going in a couple of weeks to get them and I am very excited to go and hopefully return pain free.

That is great news!! I am glad all the red tape has sorted itself out.

Do you know what the turn around time is on getting lenses in LA? Do they have to get there lenses from Boston, or do they have the equipment on site to make them?

Also, you might want to consider finding somebody in Sask. who is familiar with scleral lens fitting, who would be able to monitor you for issues which might crop up with extended wear. I would ask the BFS people what they recommend in terms of local follow up care.

Wishing you a safe trip and improved eye comfort!

Hopeful2

Comment

Originally posted by canndym View Post
      I am happy to say that after a lot of paper work and red tape I have been approved for funding from my province to go to LA for PROSE lenses. I know there are other Canadians out there trying to get coverage fro PROSE keep fighting it does happen. I am going in a couple of weeks to get them and I am very excited to go and hopefully return pain free.
      That's fantastic news! Good that you posted it too so anyone else from SK needing them will know it's possible to get coverage! How much of the cost are they paying for?

Comment

No LA does not make the lenses they do the fittings then the lenses are made in Boston I believe in 1-2 days but I do not know forsure. My opthamologist who referred me said he will do all my follow appointments and LA said they will work with him on my care and follow ups. When I spoke to BFS they were not familiar with Saskatchewan at all and we not aware of a patient from Saskatchewan going there yet.
        I decided to go with LA as the flights are much cheaper and easier to get from here. Boston has much less options and more costly. Since I have to go back for at least annual follow ups I wanted somewhere easy to get to. I have also met two other ladies who have gone to LA and said Dr Chiu is amazing to work with. I have spoken to Dr Chiu several times now and would have to agree.

Comment

I will be paying for travel, hotel, food ect... all medical appointments, procedures and lenses will be covered 100%. I will also have to pay for lense care supplies and solutions which I knew going in and is still a lot cheaper than what I currently spend on eye drops.
          I believe my annual follow ups will also be covered but I will have to have my opthamologist send in a request prior to going I believe, that part is still being worked out.

Comment

Wow . . . looks like there are a lot of details to work out. Sounds like you are right on top of them too!

A day or two is still pretty fast turn around time. I am so glad that you already have an ophthalmologist who is knowledgeable in scleral lenses. . . that is a big relief I'm sure.

It sure is a shame, all the money that we need to spend to look after our dry eyes.

Keep us posted

Hopeflul2

Comment

Hi canndym,

I am happy to hear that you are looking forward to your trip to Los Angeles for PROSE treatment! It’s possible you may already be on your trip or have returned home, but if you are in need of information on lodging or transportation in the L.A. area for any future trips later down the line, here are a few ideas: www.bostonsight.org/lodging-natl

Also, here is a link to the new Patient Resources Guide, which has information on various transportation options, financing, support organizations and support groups, and related listservs.

Wishing you the best throughout your treatment!

Warmly,
              Janice M. Epstein
              Online Community Advocate
              Boston Foundation for Sight
              connectedvisions@bostonsight.org

Comment

Working...
              X