This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prose versus other sclera lenses?

Hi! I am very new to learning about the contact lense option for severe dry eye. I am wondering, what is the difference between prose lenses and other sclera lenses (the types you can get in most states that are cheaper)? What do the prose lenses do that other lenses that sit on the cornea do? Thank you very very much!

Hello CTS,

PROSE (prosthetic replacement of the ocular surface ecosystem) treatment devices were developed by the Boston Foundation for Sight. The devices are made of gas-permeable plastic and rest on the sclera of the eye. This design allows for a reservoir of fluid which can continuously bathe the ocular surface, providing constant lubrication. Other benefits can include improved vision (by ******g surface corneal irregularities) and damage prevention due to the outer layer of protection over the cornea and conjunctiva. If you are interested, you can use this link to read more about the specific mechanisms utilized in PROSE treatment.

In order to understand how PROSE devices would compare to other scleral lenses, there are three factors that are important to consider: (1) a patient’s goals, needs, and capabilities, (2) a patient’s underlying medical condition, and (3) the success of the fit of the device. Therefore, it’s difficult to provide a specific answer about how PROSE treatment compares with lenses fit by other providers, because of the numerous factors at play. You can read here to learn more about PROSE treatment for individuals with dry eye.

Wishing you well in determining the best treatment for your dry eye, and don’t hesitate to contact me if I can answer any further questions for you.

Warmly,

Janice M. Epstein
    Online Community Advocate
    Boston Foundation for Sight
    connectedvisions@bostonsight.org

Comment

Working...
    X