This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PROSE & Sensitive Eyes

What is the likelihood that someone with very dry eyes AND extraordinarily sensitive eyes might be able to tolerate the "hard lens" feeling of a PROSE lens?

For example, I am not able to wear soft or RGP contact lenses and my eyes are irritated by even the very slightest thing--including the eye drops that are supposed to help dry eye. The Jupiter scleral lens supposedly looked like it was fitting perfectly on my eye, but it felt as if there was a huge piece of glass in my eye due to my sensitivity.

Are there any patients who have extraordinary sensitivity like I'm describing who are able to successfully wear a PROSE lens despite this?

May be stupid question, but is it something that they say you will get use to? The reason I ask is I'm wearing contacts for about 6 wks now, and when they first put them in, my right one I didn't even feel, but my left is a toric lens and boy did I feel it, they did say everyone feels them at first, I really didn't think it would be OK but I don't even notice it now. Just a thought I know my lens are soft and different, but maybe its the same. I hope things work out for you.

Comment

I have been to the BFS about 6 times now and have many patients during my stay. I have probably only met 2 patients that for some reason or another couldn't tolerate the lens. It is placed on the sclera which is a less sensitive area of the eye. The saline solution placed in the lens helps works like a corneal bath to promote healing and provide comfort. Looks like you aren't far from Boston at all. If I were you I would make my way down there for an appointment.
      FOR WE WALK BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT (2 Corinthians 5:7).

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie View Post
        I have been to the BFS about 6 times now and have many patients during my stay. I have probably only met 2 patients that for some reason or another couldn't tolerate the lens. It is placed on the sclera which is a less sensitive area of the eye. The saline solution placed in the lens helps works like a corneal bath to promote healing and provide comfort. Looks like you aren't far from Boston at all. If I were you I would make my way down there for an appointment.
        Hi Reggie,
        Do u know if there are any studies showing what percentage of patients with dry eye get good relief from scleral lenses?
        Am considering a trip to boston this summer but as i have ocular rosacea,im a little cautious about getting my hopes up

Comment

What's up Anthony,
          From what I've heard a very high percentage of patients with dry eye have been able to find relief with PROSE. I've heard something like over 80% although it's not something I can confirm. And I was a guy that was first rejected as a possible PROSE candidate. I pretty much had to beg them to see me again, ask them to make the lenses for me, and allow me to determine whether or not I felt there was some type of benefit. Not sure how far you are from Boston, or what other treatments you have tried in the past, but I was at the end of my rope when I decided to head over there. Best decision I've made in terms of my treatment.
          FOR WE WALK BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT (2 Corinthians 5:7).

Comment

Thanks for your help.
            Am considering seeing Dr Gemoules rather than BFS due to the cost.Iv been told he is just as good at fitting.
            From what i see,they help a lot of peoples dry corneas but wearing them can be impossible for some due to the lid friction issue.Hopefully,i wont have this problem but im not getting my hopes up

Originally posted by Reggie View Post
            What's up Anthony,
            From what I've heard a very high percentage of patients with dry eye have been able to find relief with PROSE. I've heard something like over 80% although it's not something I can confirm. And I was a guy that was first rejected as a possible PROSE candidate. I pretty much had to beg them to see me again, ask them to make the lenses for me, and allow me to determine whether or not I felt there was some type of benefit. Not sure how far you are from Boston, or what other treatments you have tried in the past, but I was at the end of my rope when I decided to head over there. Best decision I've made in terms of my treatment.

Comment

Working...
            X