This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My experience with Mini-scleral lens

After having tried what seems like everything to get some relief from 24/7 burning in my eyes my dr. finally sent me to be fitted for scleral lenses and I was fitted in a mini scleral. I;ve been in the lenses 10 days and I'd have to say that this is the only thing that has brought me any relief. The first 5-6 days were rough but it seems like each day gets better. The lenses are far more comfortable than when I first got them, I've even forgotten they were in several times the last couple of days. I went from 3 very painful hours of wear to 9+ hours of comfort.

Driving is much more comfortable, watching t.v. is almost enjoyable now and I can actually go into stores for short periods without being in total agony. I haven't attempted to read any books and typing this is the longest I"ve been on the computer but I'm not ready to rip my eyes out yet.

Best of all I've gotten off the couch!! I used to spend several hours a day with ice on my eyes and I didn't leave the house much. Now I feel like I'm slowly getting some of my life back.

Having said all this I'm far from "normal". Within 15 minutes of removing the lenses my eyes start to burn like crazy and they still burn and are very red in the morning. But it does seem that each day gets a tiny bit better.

If going with the PROSE lens seems overwhelming or huge undertaking financially then give these little guys a try, I'm amazed how much difference they've made.

Originally posted by Martz22 View Post
    I feel like I'm slowly getting some of my life back.
    Hi Martz22 that's great news you are finding relief with these lenses. I wanted to ask you- do you know if they are available with prescription? Thank you.

Comment

Hey Lacrima,

They are.

Comment

Hi Martz22,

It's good to hear you are getting relief from your mini sclerals. I had full size sclerals fitted in February. I too had burning and immediate dryness after removing them at first. But after a few weeks the comfort of my eyes after removal has improved alot. Before I had constantly put drops in to keep my eyes open after taking them out. Now after I take the sclerals out my eyes feel ok and I don't need to use to drops. So I have about 2-3 hours of comfortable eyes before going to bed. Please persevere and I hope over the next couple of months your eyes begin to feel much better too.

Comment

Hi Martz, that's so good too hear. I too have been wearing mini-scleral lenses, they are 18mm. I also found them uncomfortable to start with and had them altered a few times. I've been placing Thera tear gel into mine and it's increased the wearing time. I was advised to form a bubble in the lens before removing them, and I still find that very difficult to do. My optometrist also saved me a trip to Boston. So good news folks!

nors, just curious about the actual size of your lens? full size sclerals range from about 18mm to 27mm.

Comment

Hey all,
            Sorry I have not been recieving posts to my thread.

Lacrima-Yes, mine mini's 16 mm have perscription in both lenses. My vision is not as good (20/30) as it is with my glasses (20/15) but its good enough AND I don't have to wear my glasses!!

Nors-Thank you for giving me hope! It does seem like each day gets just a little bit better, meaning each day I can go an extra minute or two before my eyes burn and hurt. It's a slow process but I'm willing to be patient and thankful for the relief while I have the lenses in. My only major concern now is that my eyes are super red when I take them out and in the morning. I'm hoping this too will get better although it seems to be getting worse, argh! I currently fill my lenses with Unisol 4 but my DR. is thinking of including some meds with the saline. Not sure if I'm ready for that???? might want to give this a try a bit longer. Thoughts???

Tanner-Thanks for your help in answering to Lacrima! I hope you are well and are scheduling an appt. to try these out!

Take care everyone, I will be better about checking back in case you have any questions. There are not alot of folks who seem to have success with mini's or non-PROSE and share it here so I hope this gives hope to those that feel they are out of options

Comment

NIce to hear u getting relief..
              I want to know whether u got any vision improvement with sclerals?Or is that ur vision was okay without sclerals too??
              Really need to be a ROCK to take the pain!

Comment

I obtained sclerals for dry eyes, but a side benefit is that they are vision corrective too. I was mildly short sighted, now have 20/20 vision.

Comment

Where do you get scleral lenses fitted? At the ophthalmologist, or one of those contacts/glasses vision stores?

Also, I should add that I have super bad vision. I've been stuck with mostly glasses lately and my lenses are -10, while my contacts are -9. Do sclerals even come in those high strengths?

Comment

Seavie,

One of the perks of sclerals at least from BFS is they can really get you good vision. So I am almost postitive that the anser to your question is yes.

Comment

I got mine today!!!! I have had them in for a few hours. I guess mine are considered semi- or mini (they are 13.5 mm) I am farsighted with astigmatism in both eyes. These have corrected the farsightedness at the cost of needing OTC reading glasses. BUT my eyes have not felt this good for 5 years. It is going to be a challenge getting them in and out, but I know I can do it. My optometrist fitted me. Been going to him for a long time and my ophthalmologist trusts him, too. I pray this is IT!!!!!
                      Good luck to all!!!!!

Comment

mmc,

Great news! Best of luck with the lenses. I can't wait for my turn!

Blinks

Comment

Working...
                        X