This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scleral Lenses?

I'm looking at getting scleral lenses, have tried everything so I guess a last roll of the dice.. i was going to go to the BFS but noticed they have international providers which would work out a lot cheaper.. but would I end up with the same results? I also looked up scleral lenses in Australia where I live and came up with don ezekiel, would the lenses be the same or am I better off going to Boston?

Hi Alex, I've pondered the question of going to Boston a lot. I am currently getting a new scleral lens fitted on my right eye (go in next week for it) and have already had a comfortable fit (after a few modifications) on the left eye. My optometrists goal was to save me a trip to Boston, and he has certainly achieved that! He works very closely with Scleral lens makers in Australia and is excellent with fittings. Consultations are very long and require you to walk around the city wearing the sclerals for a few hours, return, then he checks symptoms of redness, comfort levels and measures the areas that may-be uncomfortable...and will have them modified for you. Just like they do at Boston. The only problem is he has to send them to Sydney for the modifications and it takes 3 weeks.
    Don Ezekiel is no longer working as an optometrist, rather, his son has taken over the business.

I've read posts here about dry eye sufferers having attended BFS and not have the success they hoped for. They still have discomfort with them, so they are not really the last resort. Whilst wearing sclerals, I still need to apply artificial tears and wear my moisture chambers, same with those patients having been to BFS.

It's your decision Alex. Getting sclerals in Australia is a lengthy process with the modifications taking 3 weeks. If you can't wait, if you've had enough and just want it over and done with...then go to Boston.

Comment

I don't mind waiting just not sure if the quality will be the same? Were the sclerals you got prose?

Comment

The sclerals I got were not PROSE. They are called KATT mini-sclerals and are 18mm. Most PROSE wearers are 18mm in diameter. I find them comfortable compared to others I've tried (like the older fenestrated lenses and a mini-scleral manufactured in New Zealand). I'm seeing my optometrist tomorrow for another adjustment to the sclerals. We just get new one's made up (takes about 3 weeks), I can wear the current lenses I have whilst the new lenses are being made...so there is no period where I'm waiting without my sclerals. You have six months warranty on the lenses, so each time a new lens is made according to comfort and fit, you are not charged.

Comment

Working...
        X