X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other kind of dry eye lenses ?

Hi!
    Today I go to see a doctor who has his own company to develop RPG contact lenses. He said that one type of contact lenses he design is about the sizes of cornea(which is larger than normal RGP lenses but far more smaller than scleral lenses ) and he made a little space between central cornea and the lens to preserve water in it. He says that we feel the dryness and burning sensation because of the cornea.The cornea is very sensitive, however, the sclera is not that sensitive. So the lens he develop is just about the size of cornea.
    He said it would be suitable for dry eye patient. Because I'm now in Taiwan, and here we don't have scleral lenses, so I can't try them. I don't know if I should try the lens which the doctor recommends me. (It cost about $600 which is more cheaper that the scleral lenses)

some things that I'm doubt is that:
    1.Would the ridge of the lens become dry and scratch my eyes ?
    2. I think the scleral lens give protection around nearly the whole eyeball and give them moisture and protection. If my sclera is dry and my cornea is under protection, would I still fell the burning sensation ?
    3.Would the water in the "little space" lost time after time ?

The doctor is very promising for the lenses and I don't know whether I should trust him.

I really need some advice!

Carol

1. "No" if the edge lift is not to much. / "yes" if the lens periphery curve is too flat.
    2. Yes. As the dry up conjunctiva which covering the sclera will has pain sensation as well although it's relatively less sensitive than the cornea. Thus, the full size corneal RGP may help in some extent but large sclera (>18mm) may be better because of the much larger area being covered.
    3. For extremely dry condition... Yes. Thus, people may still apply eye drops when wearing the scleral lens to get the most comfortable effect.

Forrest
    Eyesight Hong Kong Optometry Center

Comment

Working...
    X