This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 weeks later and a bit frustrated...

I am still having bad cloudiness in my sclerals after about 2 weeks. It's awful when I'm driving and then they cloud up and everything looks foggy. I switched all my facial products to make sure they were oil free, yet I still have to take out the lenses and clean them 4-5x/day. Could it be a fit problem? I am using the preservative free little pink saline sticks to fill them before putting them in, is there something better? I got my lenses in ATL at Emory, but I am a plane flight away, and would rather see if it's something else before going to get refitted. Suggestions??

You can try adding a vial of preservative free Celluvisc in your scleral (in addition to your regular saline) before inserting. Celluvisc is more viscous than saline and may help impede mucous and other junk from getting under your lens. I wear a mini-scleral lens and find the Celluvisc does help some with regards to clouding. I have seen others on this forum mention they use it as well.

Also, just out of curiousity, are your sclerals plasma-coated? I think plasma coating is also supposed to help reduce clouding.

Comment

I don't know if they are plasma coated. I will have to ask my optometrist. I am supposed to go back again for a visit, I have just been so busy that I haven't been able to schedule! Right now just taking them out every 1-2 hours to clean them and stick them back in. The fogging is just driving me crazy, especially when I am driving, and I drive a ton. Plus, I would love to wear these to work, I work in an OR where the constant moving air is extremely drying, but I can't because I wouldn't be able to clean them and then I wouldn't be able to see. Does using the celluvisc change your vision at all? Thanks for the reply!

Comment

When you say "still" having this problem, do you mean you have been having it from the beginning? Fit issues would be the first thing I would suspect in a *new* lens. Other than that, I agree with ALK-O'd as regards checking about plasma treatment. Also what kind of solutions are you using for cleaning and disinfection? If you're not already you might want to try Optimum by Lobob ESC, pretty much the best you can get for this kind of lens.

When it fogs, have you tried any drops or even plain saline to clear it temporarily? I don't often get anything like that but if I do, dumping in a little saline can sometimes clear it out.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Rebecca~

Yes, I have had the fogging from the beginning. I put them in, they cloud after a while(sometimes immediately), then I clean them and they clear for a bit, then fog again. I stopped using the Refresh eye ointment a week before I got my lenses, then went out and got all new facial products that were oil free (Have to wear moisturizer with sunscreen on my skin, and need something for under my eyes because I have dark circles). I use the Optimum Lobob cleaner every time I clean them, the pink saline sticks to fill them, and the Clear Care for night. I do use drops, the preservative free sticks(several brands, I think I have just about everyone in my medicine cabinet), but it really is under the lens. I am going back to see my optometrist, Michael Ward at Emory, in a few weeks. I really like him, I felt like he listened and is doing the best he can for me. I am wondering if it might be something I am putting on my face that just makes its way into my eyes? Dr. Ward said oil free products, but is that it? He is a guy, so he might not really know when it comes to other facial products? Also, I will ask him if they are plasma coated, how would I know if they were or not? I don't know what type Emory uses. I want to make sure I am doing everything on my part to make sure these lenses work. It is a plane flight to Emory, which is getting so expensive, so I want to make sure that when I see him again I am the most prepared I can possibly be. Can you think of any other questions pertaining to the fogging that I should ask?

Aside from the fogging, they work out great while they are clear. I was even able to do a Zumba class and a 5K with them in, which is so exciting for me! No more sweaty glasses falling down my face! Thank you for the advice!

Comment

Working...
          X