Problem with PROSE after years of success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with PROSE after years of success

I have had the PROSE lenses from Boston for 5 years now. I LOVED them....until this past year. Gradually I began experiencing the feeling that the lenses were drying out and I now find myself rewetting them up to 10 times daily. If I am unable to rewet them for a couple of hours, when I finally get the chance my eyes are done for the day.
    I recently got a new pair by visiting a doc in Houston, but sadly getting new ones did not change the recurring pain I am having. Has anyone else had this problem, and what did you do to resolve it? I am a teacher and will begin a new school year soon. I will not have time to be constantly be rewetting my lenses. Also hard to take care of more than 20 kindergarteners while having eye pain.
    I apologize for typing errors....hard to see and type on this I-pad. I really appreciate suggestions because I am beginning to get down about this.

Hi Elaine,

Did you get a really good exam in Houston (or wherever) to find out if something has changed with your eyes that needs addressing? Maybe check for increased dryness, MGD etc, then the lens specific possibilities like GPC?

Have you tried moisture chamber glasses over your PROSE? I would hope it would cut down on the frequency of needing to lubricate. Only a short-term solution really till you find out what's going on.

I'm a 6-year veteran of PROSE. I find that at times I need to take strategic breaks to prevent flare-ups. So another short-term thing, I wonder if you can possibly also cut down on lens use for a while and see what impact that has.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you so much for responding, Rebecca. I did NOT get a good exam in Houston, to my disappointment. The doctor seemed like he was new to PROSE and didn't offer any suggestions to help at all. In fact, I am the one who suggested that I order new lenses since mine were so old. I really thought that was the problem.

Even though I have had dry eyes for over 15 years, I am not well versed in it, so I will have to look up exactly what you are talking about: MGD and GPC, but I will definitely find out and try. When I first got the PROSE, they were a God sent. Although, they did not entirely stop my pain, they definitely gave me a lot of relief....more on some days than others, but I didn't go a single day without them. I emailed Boston about my problem, but they are reluctant to offer advice due to the fact that I had my records transferred to Houston, so technically I am not their patient anymore. I really need to go back there, but it will be a big deal to me, because of the time and cost associated with the trip.

I have tried going without the lenses, but my eyes hurt so much. Actually, my eyes hurt after long periods without the lenses, and they hurt after long periods with the lenses. Right now, my best option seems to be putting them in and out all day.

Again, I truly appreciate your help. If you hear of or think of anything that I can try, please, please, let me know.

Comment

Here's a few more thoughts... actually just questions in case something emerges that could give another clue

How old were your lenses when you got them replaced? When you got the new lenses were they simply replacements/duplicates or did you have them newly fitted?

Also were you having the plasma treatment redone now and then? If so how long had it been since your last plasma treatment? (That's the treatment or coating or whatever that makes the lenses more hydrophilic - at least that's the way I understand it...) Did the Houston dr. check into that aspect or offer to have the plasma re-done? When I start having issues with comfort, plasma is the first thing I usually think of. Didn't occur to me with you just because you've got new lenses but....

What solutions are you using?

When you got the new lenses, were they simply duplicates
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Hey Rebecca! My new lenses were simply exact duplicates of the ones I already had. When I presented myself to the doctor in Houston and told him about my issues, all he did was look at my eyes with the lenses in and said that they look like the fit is fine, and he didn't see anything wrong. That was it! "I" was the one who suggested that maybe I needed to get a new pair since the old ones were 5 years old, and I had worn them every single day of that time.

Also, I knew, from reading your posts, about the plasma treatments, so when I arrived home I sent my old lenses to Boston and had them recoat them. STILL having the problem with pain (seems like dryness) after wearing either pair for any length of time. The worst part is that my eyes hurt whether the lenses are in or out.

When I first put the lenses in my eyes, they feel great, but in a few minutes (time varies) the pain begins again. I put Celluvisc drop on top of the lenses as I have always done. Again, I get a few minutes of relief, but the pain quickly returns. Soo depressing, because school is beginning in a couple of weeks, and I HAVE to work.

Oh...and I have always used Unisol in my lenses. Last week I also got my local doctor to prescribe Restasis. I have used it before, but didn't think it helped. Now I am ready to try anything.

I emailed BFS, and was told that my problem is common, but that each case requires individual solutions. They wouldn't tell me any of the solutions to try though.

Comment

Working...
          X