X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very uncomfortable...

Hi

I have got new scleral lenses. It's a challenge to put them in
    And when there're in, they are very unconfortable. It've got a strong foreign body feeling, and after maybe 40 min have to take them out...

Did someone else have such problems with scleral lenses?

Thank's for your help!...

Hi Micha, I've had the same experience. Firstly, I know you must be feeling disappointed since the anticipation of relief from scleral lenses is exhilarating, then to be let down with an uncomfortable fit. I've been there! It means they are not the best fit and you need to have them modified. You should be able to tolerate them longer than 40 minutes. I've had multiple new scleral lenses made in an attempt to get a comfortable feel and when I put the new lenses in for the first time I can where them up to 6 hours before I get red eyes from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Micha View Post
      Hi

I have got new scleral lenses. It's a challenge to put them in
      And when there're in, they are very unconfortable. It've got a strong foreign body feeling, and after maybe 40 min have to take them out...

Did someone else have such problems with scleral lenses?

Thank's for your help!...
      Yep i had the exact same thing. Do you have red/inflammed eye lids.. my dicomfort was mainly because my eyelids were sore/inflammed and they felt wierd against them. I hated putting them in they scared me. And my eyes still felt dry.
      I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

It can be frustrating, I just got sclerals too and I am having the problem of frequent clouding. The feel is something you get used to. The first week I could only have the lenses in for a little while, and I built up to 8 hours. It does feel like a foreign body sensation at first. It could be the fit is not right, or it could be your eyes just getting used to them. Try an hour, then take them out, then the next day try a little longer, and so on. Sometimes putting in drops will help with the weird feeling. I stick my eye drops in the fridge, helps SO much! Think about it...they are huge hard lenses in your eyes, and the lids are freaking out because it's something new. Give it time, and definitely baby your eyes when they are out, nice warm compresses, lid scrub, stuff to get any excess crud. Also watch the makeup you put on around your eyes. Try to wear your contacts sometime when you don't have any eye makeup on while you're getting used to them, like for an hour in the evening. Good luck!

Comment

They will always feel foreign if they don't fit PRECISELY (as in to the MICRON, a measurement I never heard of until my horrible scleral journey) or, in my opinion, they will not work for you no matter how well you can put them in and take them out. As my doctor told me, if they feel bad and/or you cannot see well, they are not fit correctly. And they and I should know, as they still can't fit anything to me.

I'm on my 10th try commuting to an eye center to try to get lenses fit. I can see GREAT with them, but the problem is I can't tolerate the feel. One without the other is no good, although I would happily sacrifice some vision to be able to get my eyes moisturized and keep my eyes open like a normal person. I can literally tell w/in one second of having them in whether they're going to be another fitting disaster or not. If they feel bad the minute they go in, they are only going to feel worse over time.

From what I can tell, scleral fit and vision are a tradeoff - you may have to sacrifice one to get the other, and sacrificing comfort in your eyes is not why you're investing in sclerals.

For what it's worth, learning to put mine in and out was not a huge deal after a few days of practice, although my training w/the eye institute was totally inadequate. This guide is how I learned to put them in: http://www.bostonsight.org/Content/F...e_and_care.pdf . I have much more trouble breaking the seal between the lens and my eye when taking them out and have scratched my eyes when trying to do so.

Comment

Working...
          X