This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by untkicker29
    I would not say I am severely disabled by any means, but it is something I deal with on a constant basis, and have yet to find complete relief.
    Again I don't want to speak for BFS... just talking my own impressions here. I think that failure to find complete relief with other treatments is certainly not enough on its own. It's more about whether you can get things to a manageable level with other treatments or not.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

What are the side effect of Sclelerals that they only consider some patients and not others? And how long must i be in pain for a doc to give me that referral? Does insurance generally help with these costs? Is there anyway to know in advance before they make them for you if you can even handle gas permeables? Thanks!

Comment

What are the side effect of Sclelerals that they only consider some patients and not others? And how long must i be in pain for a doc to give me that referral?
        Sounds to me like you are mostly frustrated at your doctor. He may not know that much about sclerals. He certainly has not read this bulletin board. It may take a while before he is receptive.
        Does insurance generally help with these costs?
        Probably it will cover the $350.00 initial consultation. It might cover a part of the remaining $7,600, since for patients going to BFS the lens is considered a medical necessity, but most insurers don't cover the full cost.

Comment

ESPECIALLY if the problem was caused by elective surgery. I couldn't get insurance to cover Restasis because the company decided my dry eye was the rusult of LASIK. Even though I had LASIK 7 years before Restasis was prescribed.

Comment

Originally posted by kaypeeoh
            I couldn't get insurance to cover Restasis because the company decided my dry eye was the result of LASIK.
            That's mind-boggling. Fortunately also extremely unusual! LASIK patients make up a substantial portion of the Restasis market and I think most get their insurance to cover it (assuming they're insured) - otherwise nobody would be buying it - the co-pays are bad enough. But even if the insurer won't cover treatment for lasik complications for whatever reason, how could any practitioner say with a straight face that your dry eye is without any shadow of doubt due to a surgery that happened 7 years ago? A lot can happen in 7 years.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by kaypeeoh
              I couldn't get insurance to cover Restasis because the company decided my dry eye was the result of LASIK.
              That's mind-boggling. Fortunately also extremely unusual! LASIK patients make up a substantial portion of the Restasis market and I think most get their insurance to cover it (assuming they're insured) - otherwise nobody would be buying it - the co-pays are bad enough. But even if the insurer won't cover treatment for lasik complications for whatever reason, how could any practitioner say with a straight face that your dry eye is without any shadow of doubt due to a surgery that happened 7 years ago? A lot can happen in 7 years and dry eye is a relatively common condition.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

That's mind-boggling. Fortunately also extremely unusual!
                I once was reminded privately via email by a physician who has a bad lasik outcome that I should NOT be charging any of my post lasik stuff to my insurance company because it was a result of an elective procedure. I have not now, nor back then, any idea of who he/she is.

Perhaps it's something we just haven't heard much about. I am only relaying my one experience with this subject. I thought it was a pretty ballsy thing to do - remind me not to charge my eye medical problems to my health insurance. Especially since it was someone who knew me and I was unaware of their identity. I also didn't know it was any of their business.
                Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Since the prescription was written by a doctor, I imagine I could have argued that the reason for the Rx was so I could wear RGPs. But I was able to use the veterinary version of the drug. Restasis cost $90 for a month's supply. The veterinary version, Optimmune, cost $5 a month.

Comment

So... "Today's Tip" from Kay-Pee-Oh

Borrow your neighbor's dry-eyed dog (after all, we all know how to recognize the signs by now)... quick visit to the nearest vet... an Rx... and $50 copays are suddenly a thing of the past
                    Rebecca Petris
                    The Dry Eye Foundation
                    dryeyefoundation.org
                    800-484-0244

Comment

It's a small tube. The cyclosporine is in a petrolatum base. What worked best for me was to put a dab in the eye at bedtime. First thing in the morning, I rinsed the oil out.

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j4...gAnch=imgAnch1

Comment

I guess insurance shouldn't cover labor & delivery then since sex is elective.
                        Last edited by dianat; 31-Aug-2006, 17:02.
                        Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

I am not being funny, or trying to make a message. Many health insurance policies state they will not cover charges resulting from elective surgeries.
                          Better read our policies and be sure.
                          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                          X