This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston Sclerals #3 (Day #2)

A few people were confused by my numbering scheme above, so I'll put the day in the title as well.

So day #2 of 5 started like this: 9:30 AM, I received training on care of the lenses and more training (which had been started the night before) on insertion/removal.

To insert the lenses, you hold the eyelids very wide open (this seems to be the key to success) and then look straight down into the lens, which has been filled with saline (Unisol). The lens is being held by a tiny plunger, which suctions it in place. (Incidentally, the staff here tell me that this plunger has exactly ONE other use: the insertion and removal of prosthetic devices, i.e., "glass eyes." Reminder that someone always has it much worse than me.)

While looking down at the saline-filled lens, you push the lens up toward the eye, and push it firmly against the eye. If this sounds uncomfortable to you, that's because it is uncomfortable, though I suspect this gets better with time and practice. You then close the lids around the lens/plunger combo, squeeze the plunger, which releases the suction, and then, in theory, you have your lens inserted. I did it successfully last night after about 4-5 tries, and today, I got it right the first time, every time (so I am trainable, it appears). The lens is then checked for air bubbles, and if all is well, we're ready to roll.

They wanted me to get the left lens in today, and then see how it felt and looked 3 hrs later. Turned out there were a number of us who had 3 hours to kill, so I volunteered (I'm the only one with a car) to take us on a trip to Fenway. 5 of us crammed ourselves into my rental PT Cruiser, made a lot of "blind people driving" jokes (though for the concerned among you, I still correct to 20/20 with my Panoptyx), and we headed up Centre, then Boyleston street, to Brookline, and Fenway Park. I won't bore you with the details, but fun was had by all and we scored some tix to Thursday night's Sox game.

Back to BFS, where we piled out of the car, and I was quickly whisked back to have a look at my eye with the lens in. The eye showed some compression from the lens in one area, which means that it is too tight there, so another lens was made while I fooled around for an hour, then I put that one in, more exams (all of the exams were by Dr. Rosenthal, by the way), and then a third set of lenses, which is what I am wearing now.

So far, the lenses feel pretty good, though I can definitely sense that they are there, and there is still some of he mild "tickling" that I felt before, around the edges.

A couple of points to make here: I have commented early and often about the high level of service I have received here at the Boston Foundation for Sight. I think this is very important, and contributes to the likelihood of success, as it has helped to put me into the proper frame of mind for this new and sometimes uncomfortable experience. However, the bottom line for me is not whether my week in Boston was nice; what really matters is whether I get symptom relief from my new scleral lenses. Even if I don't, I'll feel happy that I tried, at least (but then, I did not have to pay out of pocket), but so much happier if I can get these lenses to inch me a bit (or a lot) nearer to the "normal" that I left behind three years ago.

Erik,

Your narrative is great. I love that you even got to a ballgame.

I need to know your thoughts regarding protecting your eye from the environment. Do you feel like they are protecting you from the elements?

Naturally, I'm thinking of myself. I can barely step foot into a grocery store without going nuts from dry eye pain. I water terribly all the time, but it's a salty painful tearing. This gets worse in certain environments. Even turning on my oven hurts my eyes. (Unless of course there happens to be nothing at the bottom to burn off...which is never.) I'm often afraid to go to restaurants and can't even imagine going back to work as I'd intended once my kids were older. Yeah, I'd say I'm disabled.

So, at this juncture I want to know if you can feel your little windshields protecting you? I guess it's too early to judge how your nights will be, but I believe Rebecca reported that after a day of scleral-protected eyes her nights go better.

I'm terribly far from being ready to go to Boston, but appreciate what's happening here...

D
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Scleral Lens

I enjoy your posts every day.
      I hope all goes well.
      I am counting down my days until I go for my consultation.

Comment

I need to know your thoughts regarding protecting your eye from the environment. Do you feel like they are protecting you from the elements?
        Diana, honestly it is hard to tell at this point. When I wear the lenses, I am aware of them being in (a bit of a foreign body sensation, though my lenses were not plasma-treated yesterday, which is necessary for dry eye patients), and this makes it hard to judge whether or not my eyes feel dry. Today (I'm writing this on Wednesday), I get the plasma lenses, and also, these new ones will have "tapered" edges, which is supposed to make them less noticeable.

I'll keep you posted.

Comment

You wrote that on the first day you were asked to sit in front of fan for several minutes. Was this part of the initial $350 consultation? You commented that:
          Next, I am placed in "the torture chamber," where a fan is blown on me for 20 minutes. I am amazed that I can survive this, though I have to admit, it isn't entirely comfortable. But I don't think it would have been possible at all without the lenses in.
          I know that your costs are being fully covered by insurance. Today, you wrote that it is hard to determine if your eyes are helped by the lenses:
          this makes it hard to judge whether or not my eyes feel dry.
          It seems that at day three, midway through the $7,600 actual fitting phase, you still don't know if the lenses are going to be of significant benefit, and that you perhaps won't know till you get home. Is this correct?
          Last edited by kurt; 30-Aug-2006, 11:11.

Comment

I can't remove the RGPs without the little plunger. I've lost a lens occasionally when trying to put them in. I never thought of using the plunger to insert a lens. Anything that lets me NOT touch the lens is worth trying.

Comment

Originally posted by kaypeeoh
              I can't remove the RGPs without the little plunger. I've lost a lens occasionally when trying to put them in. I never thought of using the plunger to insert a lens. Anything that lets me NOT touch the lens is worth trying.
              There are actually 2 different types of plungers used with the scleral. The insertion one is quite a bit larger and more sophisticated in design than the removal one (the latter being the one used for removing rgps/macros/etc).
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by kurt
                You wrote that on the first day you were asked to sit in front of fan for several minutes. Was this part of the initial $350 consultation? You commented that:

I know that your costs are being fully covered by insurance. Today, you wrote that it is hard to determine if your eyes are helped by the lenses:

It seems that at day three, midway through the $7,600 actual fitting phase, you still don't know if the lenses are going to be of significant benefit, and that you perhaps won't know till you get home. Is this correct?
                Kurt,

I actually did not write anything on day three, because I was busy all day, but will start another thread in a bit. Yes, the fan test was part of the initial consultation--if you "fail" this test (i.e., you do not get relief from your symptoms), then you are probably not a good candidate.

What I have gained from the lenses so far is 90%+ relief from my dry eye symptoms. I drove around with the A/C on yesterday and did not feel ANY dryness. What we're still working on (this is why it takes a week), is getting the right fit in my right eye. In my left eye, I can barely feel the lens and what I can feel doesn't bother me. In my right eye, we have still not found the right fit, and I get an itchy sensation which is really annoying after about an hour of wear. So, the trial-and-error process continues for that eye.

Comment

I am so happy that you are getting relief with the scleral lenses! Keep the posts coming!
                  Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I'm so glad to hear you are getting so much relief from the lenses already. I would be ecstatic if I could get that much relief. One of the two eye doctors I've been seeing over the years said she would write me a referral for sclerals next week. How long does it take to get an appointment once they have your referral and approve you? I would definitely like to get an appt in Oct or very early Nov, before the holiday season and the freezing cold weather start plus my husband's job doesn't allow him to take vacation during the holiday season.

I haven't heard from the other eye doctor. I don't need his referral now, but the fact that he did not respond to or acknowledge my request makes me very angry. I will definitely not be seeing him again or taking my children there if I do not get a response.
                    Cause of dry eyes: Meibomian Gland Dysfunction

Comment

Yes, the fan test was part of the initial consultation--if you "fail" this test (i.e., you do not get relief from your symptoms), then you are probably not a good candidate....
                      Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X