Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mild-moderate dry eye

Hi Guys
    Has anyone made some experience with sclerals who had mild-moderate dry eye from MGD (Without blepharistis)? Or does anyone know a patient with a similar dry eye condition?
    Did the sclerals work for you?
    Take care!
    Alex

Originally posted by Alexandra
    Hi Guys
    Has anyone made some experience with sclerals who had mild-moderate dry eye from MGD (Without blepharistis)? Or does anyone know a patient with a similar dry eye condition?
    Did the sclerals work for you?
    Take care!
    Alex
    That's probably a fair description of me. I don't for example have the terribly low schirmer's scores many people here have. Sclerals have been successful thus far for me.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Rebecca!

Thanks for your answer!
      I had my Schirmer Test measured yesterday... again....
      and I just cant believe it! I have
      Left: 12 and
      Right: incredibly: 21 (!!!)
      And still: I HAVE PAIN!
      This is so frustrating!
      Well, I know that I have very little 8(none?)lipid production a Doc told me who "looked" at my tear film with some other test,.....

What are your Schirmer Results Rebecca?

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Rebecca, another question if you dont mind:
        where exactely do you feel the pain/Irritation from dry eye,
        My symptoms are the feeling that my eyelids are swollen but just the part of the eyelids that are near my nose.
        and when i tuch them i can actually feel that they are swollen....
        the place where the lipids come out of the lids is just a little irritated but it doesnt hurt as far as I can tell....
        Is that normal for MGD?

Tanks a lot!!!!

Comment

measurement of lipid production

....how can the doctors measure your eyes' lipid production? I've olny had these tests for my eyes: Schirmer's test, TBUT and Rose Begal-test. I guess TBUT says something about the lipid production (as it tells how fast the tears avaporate)?

Toril

Comment

the good schimmer and bad TBUT also desribes me. I think its the MGD. My schimmers were 20 without anesthsea and 10 with. so it would be there is enough tears for the scelral lense but the quality isnt there to make the eye comfortable.
            I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Hi Tori, Hi Sazy

Tori: I dont know how my Doc measured my lipid production.
              They took a tear out of my eye and then analysed it.
              My Doc is called Dr.Eberle and shes in Emmenbrücke, Luzern (Switzerland).

Sazy: So that must be in a way good for us.... I mean for the sclerals I HOPE!!!! Well, I will write my experience here and since we have very similar eyes I guess that i can be a "test bunny" (German word :-)) for you....

Take care!

Comment

Leaving for England!

Hi Everybody

I am leaving for England tomorrow with lot's of hope in my suitcases.
                I will have my appointment at Innovative Sclerals at 10 am on Tuesday.

I will write how it worked out as soon as possible.

Take Care!!!

Comment

sclerals

Hi Everybody

I didnt want to write before I had a couple of positive things to write.
                  I went to Mr. Pullum and got Sclerals 3 weeks ago.

They have really helped me so far.
                  As I said I consider my eyes mild to moderate. Actually Mr. Pullum (Innovative Sclerals Ltd, Hertford, England) said that they arent really dry.... (My Schirmers are 12 and 21)

First my Symptoms: My eyelids often hurt out of no reason. they start hurting and then the vicious cycle starts and they get worse and worse.

First time I had the Sclerals put in I didnt have symptoms and couldnt tell right away if they help. but then, as soon as I was home again studying the symptoms came again. So I put the Sclerals in and...... THE PAIN WAS GONE!!!! I kept them in an took them out after 60 minutes, because my eyes started buring, but the pain was still gone!!!!

allthough i have some problems:
                  -- i guess the lenses are overcorrected
                  -- airbubbles always get into them when wearing them
                  -- they arent 100% comfortable

they have really helped and made me really happy so far.

When I study at the library and my eyes started to hurt I always got really scared that it would get worse and worse and now I can go home, put in the sclerals for 45 minutes and the pain is gone!!!!

I am really happy and more confidently now about my dry eyes and my whole future!!!!!

Just ask me any questions in you want!

Take care!!!

Comment

When I study at the library and my eyes started to hurt I always got really scared that it would get worse and worse and now I can go home, put in the sclerals for 45 minutes and the pain
                    Alexandra, if you are at the library, why aren't you wearing the scleral lens?
                    I have the Boston Sclerals and have some good things and some difficulties.
                    Knowing you'd be at the library and using your eyes, why are you not wearing the lens at that time? Perhaps you told us the answer, but I am curious.

I'm assuming you are not presbyopic and are a younger person? I am NOT a younger person and have to deal with reading glasses over the sclerals (for close work). I was very interested in your post and thanks for updating the group.

PS. Did you have to pay for your lens out-of-pocket or do you have an insurance or national insurance cover them? I am in the US and I think you are in the UK?
                    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hi Lucy

They thing, why I am not wearing them in the library is because I cannot wear them longer than 90 minutes, I hope the wearing time will get longer. (No, I dont need reading glasses on top of them) So I often wait till my eyes get sore and then just go home and put the sclerals in.... It's a big complicated but far better than before I had them. And: since they are overcorrected I dont like to walk aroung with them a lot. I guess I will have them recorrected some day.
                      And I hope someday I will be able to wear them overnight, so my eyes will be able to recover. At the moment when my eyes hurt before going to bed, I put the Sclerals in and set the alarm for 90 minutes and then take them out and contiunue sleeping....

For me, the Sclerals are like an aspiring I used them when I get eye-"ache". And maybe someday my eyes will get better used to them and I will be able to wear the sclerals longer...

I guess I just have to be patient ;-)

I am from Switzerland and I flew to England. My insurance didnt pay. Well, I didnt even ask. But i m so sure they wouldnt have payed...

I payed 2000 Dollars for the lenses...

Take care!!!

Comment

Hi alexandera.

A couple of questions.

Why can you only wear the lenses for 90 minutes? did the guy say you will get more used to them and be able to wear them longer? is it becoz you presumably have a short TBUT that you cant wear them longer than that?

what did he say about scerals for mild/moderate dry eye?
                        If they are over corrected can you not change them for the right correction without paying more?

It just seems most people are able to wear it and they are properly functional for alot longer.

chears
                        I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Hi Sazy

I must admit, first I though that I am just too sensitive and unthankful for the help and the sclerals. But I spoke to Rebecca the other day and I guess that my lenses could be improved a lot. They are just standard lenses ... probably not right for my eyes. I am sure that it has nothing to do with the abount of the tears I have!

I will fly again to England and have another pair done I guess.....

My trip to England was faaaaar to short. I guess its false to think that it only takes 1 day to make sclerals... It probably takes more time ;-)

Take care

Comment

Working...
                          X