This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 weeks into sclerals...

I have my sclerals, they are supposed to mini, but according to what I have read, they might be considered corneal-they are 13.5 mm. Other than minor aggravation at times getting them in and/or out, I have to say that they are fabulous!!! I am a nurse that works 3-11 and I have an hour's drive home. I used to cry the entire time because I could not see, the lights hurt my eyes and I was afraid I would have a wreck eventually. I have been dealing with dry eyes for about 6 years, tried most drops, including 3 different attempts with Restasis, plugs, nothing worked. I finally found out about the sclerals from my opthamologist when he was treating me for a tear duct infection. Got my optometrist to fit me, the sample pair was the fit I needed and if I could have seen out of them (they were a random Rx) I would not have given them back! It was immediate relief!!!! They ordered my lenses, they came in less than a week, I even got insurance to pay the 1300+ $$ for them. I LOVE, LOVE them. I can drive at night and see for miles, clear as a bell. The only downside is that they are prescribed for distance and I need readers to see the or work on the computer. Well worth any inconvenience to have 15-18 hours of relief during the day. I can even go a day without them if I am lazing about the house and my eyes don't seem to get as dry.

So great!!! Keep us posted. Does wind /air bother you anymore? What's your dx?

Comment

The wind and air don't bother me at all! Thy only thing I have found is that with the heat on, the dry air makes me need some drops (I use Systane Ultra) maybe once or twice during an 8 hour shift. About the same time that I would use lip balm for dry lips.

Comment

What's your diagnosis?

Comment

Severe dry eye (?) Is there another type? The sclerals were recommended for the dry eyes by the opthamologist.

Comment

13.5mm is a very small diameter. I had a test trial of 14mm mini-sclerals for several hours and they did not help. A second test trial with 18mm definately helped and that's the size we went with. I guess your pain was more around the cornea, whereas many of us have pain in the sclera too, and the more of the sclera that is covered by the scleral lens...the more relief we feel.

Comment

Hi, It sounds really good. Can these skleral lenses help in any way to camouflage, or cover up, a vein that goes from the inner corner of the eye to the iris? Thanks.

Comment

mmc51264... so great to hear you are getting relief! Thanks for posting. I wore 14.5mm lenses for a couple of years before sclerals. I'm surprised any 13.5mm lens would be characterized as mini scleral, must be mostly or entirely corneal really? But if it works that's what counts! I know what you mean about the benefits extending into the time when you're not wearing them. - Just a word of advice, after some time goes by, make sure you pay close attention to sensations after removal. If you're wearing them basically all your waking hours like I did, it's easy to overlook discomfort that might start happening sometime later after removal that could indicate you need to start looking into lenses that vault more or all of the cornea.

JoeB... I don't think so, though possibly it might make it a little less obvious? Best to talk to someone who fits them.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks Rebecca.

Comment

Hi Rebecca,

In regard to scleral lenses, the price for the first pair is high. With that in mind, how long do they last? And what would a second or third pair cost? Finally, is the cost of scleral lens upkeep similar to soft lenses, or it a whole different picnic basket?

Thanks!
                    JoeB

Comment

JoeB... totally depends on the provider. Prices are all over the map. But in general, I would expect a replacement lens to be much cheaper than the originals because the original fee would include all the fitting work that went into it which is probably the lion's share of the cost, while replacements are just duplicates (unless of course you have to be refitted). Sclerals are rigid gas permeable lenses so they can last a long time (years, ideally), however, sclerals for people with dry eye normally have a plasma treatment to make them more hydrophilic, and the treatment may need to be redone periodically. Hope this helps!
                      Rebecca Petris
                      The Dry Eye Foundation
                      dryeyefoundation.org
                      800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you Rebecca! Yes, it does help.

You have dry eye. If I may ask, how do you rate your experience with these lenses? And if there is such a thing as severe dry eye, would you rate your dry eye as worst case, or something different?
                        Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                        JoeB... totally depends on the provider. Prices are all over the map. But in general, I would expect a replacement lens to be much cheaper than the originals because the original fee would include all the fitting work that went into it which is probably the lion's share of the cost, while replacements are just duplicates (unless of course you have to be refitted). Sclerals are rigid gas permeable lenses so they can last a long time (years, ideally), however, sclerals for people with dry eye normally have a plasma treatment to make them more hydrophilic, and the treatment may need to be redone periodically. Hope this helps!

Comment

Replacement lenses at BFS are 700$ each!! I was recently fitted and this was one of my questions as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeB View Post
                            You have dry eye. If I may ask, how do you rate your experience with these lenses? And if there is such a thing as severe dry eye, would you rate your dry eye as worst case, or something different?
                            I've been wearing them for 6.5 years. Overall quite good experience. However bear in mind I am primarily a vision case, secondarily dry eye. I wear sclerals because I have to wear rigid lenses to see but can't tolerate lenses that touch my corneas. I'm definitely not a worst-case type dry eye - I am not severely aqueous deficient for example, but very, very uncomfortable without my lenses.
                            Rebecca Petris
                            The Dry Eye Foundation
                            dryeyefoundation.org
                            800-484-0244

Comment

I have "just about the worst dry eyes, I have seen" this is a quote from doctor. LOL. I am still getting great relief. I could not imagine a bigger lens!! I can barely get the 13.5s in! I am still practicing. I really, really like them. My right was almost completely closed and now you can hardly tell the difference between my two eyes.
                              As an FYI, mine were $1300+ with the fitting.

Comment

Working...
                              X