This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scleral help?

Hi guys, i am on my fourth or fifth day trying to wear my new scleral lenses. From a little distance my vision is pretty sharp, but a little double vision-y. My close vision (like for reading) is barely usable it's so bleary. Does anybody have any experience with this? Eye doctor seemed to think my eyes would adjust, but didn't say how long to wait.

MDK, I'm in my second week with the first set of Blanchard MSD sclerals. I have just the reverse issue: my close up vision is incredibly crisp, crystal clear, better than it's been in a couple of years. The doctor told me I'd have to wear reading glasses over them, but that's not the case.

The distance vision is fuzzy, worse than with my eyeglasses, so for instance I can't read the large green interstate highway signs at all. I see ghost images of the painted line on the road surfaces, one line just hovering above the other. Forget any kind of night time driving due to the halos and multiple light images.

In the doctor's office, I had the same experience of seeing two lines of fuzzy text on the eye chart, one line above the other. The doctor said that can be corrected in the next pair of lenses.

I truly think the lab goofed and the lenses were dispensed with the reading not distance prescription. I like them so much for close up, I'm rreally reluctant to give them up, but I do need to see better to drive. I'd be happy if I could get glasses to wear over them for distance.

The biggest challenge for me was the weird pulling sensation, almost cross-eyed effect, of making my eyes work together after a year of not being able to do so. After two or three days while building up wear time from 3-5 hours each day, this has completely settled down so now I think it's a matter of getting lenses with the correct prescription in them. The best day I've had so far, I was able to wear them for 8 hours with one 10 minute break to rinse and reinsert them.

I hope you're able to eliminate the double vision sensation. That has persisted with me over the two weeks. It's a guess, but perhaps it's something to do with the vault distance over the cornea. Just a guess.
    Last edited by Blinks; 13-Dec-2012, 15:48. Reason: corrected error in message

Comment

Hi Blinks! I put a call in to the doctor to check about it. I also have a real light sensitivity. It has been hard to drive the last couple of days, so bright I could hardly keep my eyes open.

I know what you mean! The parts that work are so sharp and crisp, I hate to give them up, too. But they are so expensive, they should really work. I kind of wonder if they missed correcting for the astigmatism. Maybe it will get better. I hope you are able to work out your "kinks" too!

I'll let you know what the doctor says, since we seem to keep having very similar problems.

Comment

Adjusting to monovision sclerals

I recently got the Blanchard mini sclerals too. They originally made them both for distance when one was suppose to be for reading/computer. I was able to get my wear time up to 5 hrs, but it was difficult as even with reading glasses, my close vision was not great.

I recently got one replaced for reading/computer. It's much thinner and more flexible than the distance one, I assume from the difference in the prescription. The first time I tried it, it felt OK in my eye, but my vision was really bad. I thought I just needed time to get used to the monovision. Now every time I put them in the new right one causes my eye to water excessively and I can't see good out of it. There's a sort of double vision. When I look at it in the mirror sometimes I see a circle of what I assume is fluid. Maybe I'm using too much and that's causing the bad vision? To fill them I have been using Tears Naturale or the preservative free saline that comes in a can. I can't figure out what's causing this allergic type reaction. The first time I tried the new one I used the canned saline and it was fine, felt better than the previous times I wore them.

I'm frustrated as I can't get used to the vision issue if I can't wear them for more than a very short time.

Comment

Working...
        X