Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to scleral lenses - information and a ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to scleral lenses - information and a ?

Everyone,

First thanks to all of you who post - it is so helpful. I would never have known about scleral lenses but for this website. When I saw an eye doctor out of town for an executive physical the week before Thanksgiving he mentioned sclerals and because I had read about them on this site, I said yes absolutely. A mere 2 weeks later I had my first pair. I do love them so far, but I have been challenged getting them inserted on several days. I wanted to share my story in case it may help someone, add a reference to some great information I found, and ask a question, so here goes:

I have Jupiter Sclerals (18.4 mm), and the first pair, I tried for 4 days but could not wear - they fit fine, but fogged immediately where I could not drive, read, really anything. I would take them out clean them, condition them, reinsert and they would fog immediately. I called my doctor's office (they are fabulous and are in Charleston, SC for anyone looking for someone in that area) and they ordered replacement lenses with the plasma treatment. With those, no fogging ever. My only challenge now is getting them in and I am getting better, but again, it is still sometimes a challenge especially with the left eye for some reason (probably my technique since I am using my right hand and going accross the body). I am pretty happy one week into the plasma treated lenses and have worn them as long as 12 hours without taking them out for cleaning or refreshing saline (although most days around 8-10 hours). I did want to add that my insurance paid 80%, so that was positive.

When the second set of lenses arrived from the lab (at no charge) to my home address, I googled the lab and found some great "webinars" that are really just presentations they have posted on sclerals and a video on insertion. The video gave me helpful tidbits on insertion one being tuck the chin to the chest which has been so much more helpful than look straight down. Here is the website: http://essilorcontacts.com/Our+Lense...ter+Series.htm

Now for my question, when removing the lenses I always expect to feel or see some liquid, but never do and wonder if that means there is no liquid in them by the end of the day. It just seems there would be some saline upon removal and obviously I want to be sure they are bathing my eye in liquid all day. For you sceleral pros, I hope this isn't a really basic question, but if you know, I would appreciate any help or advice you could offer.

Thanks again to all those who post information.

Hi Gichamp. I have had my Scleral lenses for a week. Mine fit ok, but I ma having ghosting images. I am thinking they are the wrong prescription. I don't have the fogging.

As I said I am new, too, but I also do not have any liquid left when I remove mine. SO I hope that is ok. I will try to remember to ask my doctor today.

Comment

Originally posted by MDK View Post
      Hi Gichamp. I have had my Scleral lenses for a week. Mine fit ok, but I ma having ghosting images. I am thinking they are the wrong prescription. I don't have the fogging.

As I said I am new, too, but I also do not have any liquid left when I remove mine. SO I hope that is ok. I will try to remember to ask my doctor today.
      I haven't had any issues with ghosting and my rx must be really good because I see great with the lenses. Thanks for checking with your doctor about the liquid at the end of the day. I don't have an appointment until the 28th so it might be good to get a doctor opinion while we wait for the dryeyezone pros to weight in. Good luck and I hope they can adjust your rx and get you on track.

Comment

Hi Gichamp,
        I have had my lenses for about two months and the insertions and removal process becomes easier and easier. I use the lighted plunger for insertion which I purchased at BFS when I was fitted. I put the overfilled lens on the plunger, look down, push and release. I do not know if there is one available for the Jupiter len, tho.... Upon removal, there is still liquid in the lens since it runs down my face. I do overfill the lens to avoid bubbles when I put them in and I guess that is why there is some left at the end of the day. YOu are very lucky that yours are comfortable. I am just about to give up wearing mine because they are so uncomfortable. Hope that helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Amyfloor View Post
          Hi Gichamp,
          I have had my lenses for about two months and the insertions and removal process becomes easier and easier. I use the lighted plunger for insertion which I purchased at BFS when I was fitted. I put the overfilled lens on the plunger, look down, push and release. I do not know if there is one available for the Jupiter len, tho.... Upon removal, there is still liquid in the lens since it runs down my face. I do overfill the lens to avoid bubbles when I put them in and I guess that is why there is some left at the end of the day. YOu are very lucky that yours are comfortable. I am just about to give up wearing mine because they are so uncomfortable. Hope that helps!
          So sorry yours have not been comfortable, but maybe it is a fit issue they can resolve. I sure hope so as it is quite the investment of money and time to have to give up. Thanks for sharing your experience. I try to overfill, but am still losing some on insertion so i will keep trying.

Comment

Welcome.

Originally posted by gichamp View Post
            Now for my question, when removing the lenses I always expect to feel or see some liquid, but never do and wonder if that means there is no liquid in them by the end of the day.
            Normal At least so far as I know.

If I have to take a lens out soon after inserting, I feel the flood (actually, it's running down my cheeks). If I take them out after 12 hours of wear, I don't. I mean there's a little but not much. But that doesn't mean they're empty & dry 3/4 of the day.

It really only takes less than a drop to cover the entire surface of the cornea and more. Plus, gravity is not the only force acting on liquid behind a lens on the surface of the eye. So I don't need a full teaspoon of liquid on each cornea to keep them wet. So long as there is SOME in there, the lens is keeping that liquid layer intact by preventing evaporation and restricting movement. And precisely because the surface IS wetter than it would be without lenses, when I take a lens out, I don't feel the little bit that's left over after my lids have spent all day pushing and pulling on the lenses.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Yep, that's what he said. It's normal. Fluid should be passing in and out of there all day, even artificially But i said my lenses are very dry at the end of the day and he said that was ok, too.

Doctor is changing my prescription in my left eye, and that seem to tone it way down.

Comment

Thanks Rebecca and MDK. Really helpful. I did notice i had more eye redness today, but i guess there are good days and bad days with these too.

Comment

Well and I shouldn't say they are very dry. I always put some drops in before I take them out so they are always a little wet, and I don't know how much of that is left over and how much is from the recent drops. Just felt the need to be accurate!

Comment

Working...
                  X