This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficulty removing Prose Lenses

I have had great success over the past three years with my lenses. I often wear them from 8AM till 11PM. They have tremendously improved my quality of life. Recently I have had more difficulty removing the lenses and at times they are quite difficult to take off. It will often hurt, especially if I scrape the underside of my eyelid. Have any others had similar difficulties? Any tips on getting them off easier. I have noticed when I wear them longer, they are harder to take off, which makes sense. Thanks for the advice...

Hi, It's great to hear you are doing so well with the PROSE. I'm relatively new at wearing Blanchard sclerals and add drop or two of TheraTears just before I take them out. It seems to make it easier to break the seal so the plunger can do its job. Probably any tears or saline would work the same way. I use Oasis Tears Plus once the lenses are out. Maybe the longer wear time allows some dryness and the removal is less easy. One lens always comes off easily, and the other one resists often. Not sure if this is any help but the plunger at 6 o'clock and lifted at an angle usually works much better with the drops. Hope it helps. Do you regularly replace the plunger? Seems that I read it's supposed to be replaced at 6 months, but not sure about that. You're so lucky to be able to get such great wear time!!!

Comment

What she said Wetting before removal, not too old a plunger (maybe even a different style - some do better with the 45 degree angled ones). Rotating lens slightly clockwise while tugging too. And check in with the doc about whether the lenses might be tightening up too much over time. Good idea to be seen by somebody when you've had the lenses in, say, for 8 hours so they can see exactly what's going on.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks for the tips, I started using a new plunger and it is helpful. Just ordered the 45 degree angle one and see how that helps. I am also going to trying rotating clockwise while removing, but new plunger was really helpful.

Comment

Tdwax,

So sorry you are struggling with PROSE device removal. Maybe this video from the Scleral Lens Education Society will be helpful: http://youtu.be/P0xO9bZsTnU.

In addition, a PROSE treatment patient took it upon herself to make an insertion and removal video too, which you can view here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD4kr...JeSusODC2qdXqw. BFS is also coming out with a PROSE application and removal video in the next few months so stay tuned!

Just in case a fit adjustment is needed, have you thought about making an annual appointment with PROSE provider? We have a PROSE clinic in LA now: www.bostonsight.org/Doheny

Wishing you well,

Janice

Janice M. Epstein, MPA
          Online Community Advocate
          Boston Foundation for Sight
          Email: connectedvisions@bostonsight.org
          Connected Visions Blog

Comment

Working...
          X