What is sclerals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is sclerals

Can someone give me a short explanation of waht sclerals is? or a link where ai can read more about it?
    Dr eyes caused by long term contact lens wear

Originally posted by Maria1972
    Can someone give me a short explanation of waht sclerals is? or a link where ai can read more about it?
    Sclerals are a device that treats advanced corneal disease, including some forms of severe dry eye.

They are basically just a very large, specially designed gas permeable contact lenses designed to hold fluid (eg saline) against the eye. This both keeps the eye protected and hydrated, and provides for excellent vision. They are often used to restore sight in patients who could never have good vision with glasses or contact lenses, and increasingly they are being used as an ocular surface disease treatment because of the protective nature of the fluid "bath" on the cornea.

Have a look at the Sclerals forum for more information and some reports from patients here (including me ) who have tried them.

Incidentally, if you have a question about a particular topic you can often find information either by:

- doing a search in the forums, or
    - looking in our Dry Eye A to Z section
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks Rebecca! I guess is something to have it somewhere in the list of things to try.

I'm still having bad burning. Called my dr today and said to put systaine every hr and Genteal gel every night and call back monday.
      I tried the ice bag on my eyes, naps, wearing the googles. Gee wee. I hope this is just a bad flare. I'm exhausted.
      The headache/neck ache makes it worse so I'm thinking about taking somethign for the pain, Darvocet or ibuprofen.
      I didn't take any zyrtec today although allergies are bad, even the dog is sneezing.
      Dr eyes caused by long term contact lens wear

Comment

Originally posted by Maria1972
        Here is a link to the website about the Boston scleral lenses: http://www.bostonsight.org/
        Cause of dry eyes: Meibomian Gland Dysfunction

Comment

Working...
        X