• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scleral lens fitters and suppliers

Hi all,
    here is a listing of scleral lens fitters:

http://www.sclerallens.org/scleral-fitters

There are some fitters not listed, like dr Gemoules, who does apply an OCT for the fitting.
    Now also some other ophthalmologists and optometrists do use OCTs for the fitting process.

Dr. Cotter - http://www.parkwaysclerals.com

is not listed.

Does someone know more scleral lens fitters and suppliers not listed?

In Europe two sclerals including fitting from Visser in the Netherlands do costs about 2900 euros.
    It seems that the sclerals from Visser are the best available currently.
    These lenses are being made from the Menicon-Z material. That is the same material as the Menicon RGP-hard
    lenses. The Menicon-sclerals do not need a coating and do have a higher DK - oxygen permeability.

Two sclerals from Ken Pullum do cost about 1400 GBP?

Sclerals of the same Quality like the best lenses from the USA or Europe do cost about 400USD
    for two lenses from a supplier in Johannesbourg-South Africa.
    Also in Israel is a company that does offer modern sclerals for much lower Prices than in Europe or
    North america!
    So People that do Need sclerals but cannot afford the high costs, should be able to obtain the lenses
    from other suppliers.

Thank you!

Peter

So there are certainly different "quality" of sclerals. Well, we certainly want the BEST sclerals possible. I had been trying multiple fittings and modifications with a lens that feels comfortable but cannot endure more than 6 hours wear without extreme redness edging towards discomfort. However the optometrist did NOT have an OTC machine.
    After 3 yrs of trying, I recently changed optometrist and my first appointment was rather enlightening, he had an OTC machine and since I'd had my sclerals in for 6 hours he showed me where all the distortions were and how much compression was occurring. So he recommends a different type of lens manufactured by a new company. Not sure where to do from here.

The take home message is, be careful...you could lose a lot of time and money like I did.

Comment

Hi DCR

I live in Brisbane and need scleral lenses. So I don't waste too much money on something that may not work, is it common for optometrists to do a 'trial' of scleral lenses? Also, are you aware of any medicare assistance with the lenses? Thanks!

Comment

Dr. Gemoules in Coppell, TX does a GREAT job. He surprisingly is not on the list either.

Comment

Working...
        X