This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Weeks wearing Scleral Lenses

The first two weeks wearing the lenses (while at the clinic) was excellent. I would give it 10 out 10 relief. After returning home and going back to work I notice that I am not getting the same relief. 7 out of 10. I am wondering if working at a computer all day or the fluorescent lighting in my office could have a negative effect on the lenses??? Are there any other patients out there that wear these lenses having the same problem?

Karen, sorry I can't help with any answers but I'm happy you are getting 7 out of 10 relief! Where did you get fitted? I know you have 6 months to go back to the same clinic and get them adjusted.

Comment

I got them fitted at the Boston Foundation for Sight. Doctors and medical staff there were just great. The lenses fit well and I don't feel them in my eyes, but I am not getting the same relief as I did the first two weeks of wearing them.

Comment

I got my sclerals in 2009 and still having pretty good fitting. I dont feel the lenses in my eyes during hours and hours and the vision is pretty well. Just notticed a significant increase of my myopia since i got them, but i dont know if the lenses have any influence on this.

Comment

Karen- Did you call Boston and ask them about it? From what I've read, the improvement should only get better over time...not worse.

Comment

I am getting scleral lenses in a month or so from Canada though. I am real nervous. I just don't understand how you can see through the fluid? Lol wouldn't you get dizzy? Or am I wrong? 7 out of 10 relief I would be happy with!!

Comment

Not to worry. You can see through the fluid. I have been wearing my lenses since March 28. I have good days and bad days. I guess it depends on the weather??? Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I am wondering if sinus infections may have an effect on dry eyes???

Comment

Where are you getting your lenses in Canada?

Comment

Hi Karen

I got fitted at the ottawa general hospital eye institute. They order them from a company they work with in the states. The doctor said they are quite similar to the prose lense. (I am not saying they are the same thing or as good) The fitting process was hard on my eyes, as I have never put a contact in before. It took over an hour and my eyes were sore after. I did decide to order them and try to wear them as I can return them within six months and get about 75 percent of my money back.

I have a few questions for you if you don't mind!!

1. How did the lenses affect redness of the eye? Does it increase with the lenses in?

2. Has your quality of life improved ?

3. Are there days when you just can't wear them?

Any feedback would be appreciated as I am nervous and still weary of these things. I don't want anymore redness..my eyes are super sensitive.

Comment

Hi Faith,

I have no redness in my eyes and the lenses shouldn't affect it. The quality of my life has improved. First month wearing the lenses, it was a whole new world-- I was so happy. The lenses still give me relief, but not as long.
                    I wear the lenses everyday. Some days I put them in at 8:00 am and I get
                    relief for most of the day, probably up to 7:00pm. Other days, I may only get 5 or 6 hours of relief.

Hope this helps Faith.

I am also going to get the blood serum drops made for my eyes. I spoke to some patients at the Boston Foundation for Sight when I was there, and they said the drops were good. I am from Canada and I didn't know of this place in Ottawa. Is it the same type of lense?

Comment

Me again Faith, I noticed 1989 after your name, were you born in 1989? You seem too young to have dry eyes. I got married in 1989, next year I will be married 25 years, that would make you 24 right?
                      I am now 48 and the chronic dry eye (the doctors say) was bought on by early menopause. Did you always have dry eyes?

Comment

Hi Karen

Yes I am only 24.. I have no idea what brought it on. I used visine for years in university just to make my eyes more white. (I was very vain) Anyway once I stopped using it (when I found out it was bad) my eyes have never been normal. They are dry and irritated all the time. They are also still a tad red. I am currently using Alrex, serum, Restasis, doxy. Nothing has done the trick, thus the sclerals.. I am still nervous about them. Thank you for being so kind to answer my questions. Ànd get the serum! It's the best thing I have tried so far.

I am happy you found something that works for you! What size are your sclerals? The lenses I got are fit here in Canada but ordered from the U.S. they are not the exact same as prose no..doctor said they are similar...

Comment

I plan on seeing a dry eye expert.
                          What is the criteria for getting these lenses?
                          Do they replace glasses?
                          Are they worn all day and removed at night?
                          I'm glad you've enjoyed much improvement Karen! Keep us posted.

Comment

It varies day to day for me. Most days are 10 of 10. Some as low as 6 of 10. But every day is better than before.

Comment

Hello all, My doctor suggested that I get a scleral lens fitted. My eyes are currently quite irritated from steroids so there is a lot of stinging and burning. Serum tears are helping a little with the corneal neuralgia. Is it possible to use serum while wearing the sceral lens? Thanks a lot. ~Gerri

Comment

Working...
                              X