This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about size of Boston Sclerals

Hey everybody with Boston Sclerals...this is what I need to know: How much of your eye do they cover? I have had mine for a year, and they work beautifully for the covered part, but about ONE FOURTH of my inner eye areas are not covered, and it's a KILLER because my eyes are Sjogren's bone dry.

My last ap't was in Sept. and I asked Dr. Johns and Dr. Rosenthal about larger lenses to cover more eye area, and Dr. Johns said my eyes would take larger lenses, but then they both said that they found that this does not solve peripheral burning and I was kind of dismissed.

I'm kind of thinking they just didn't want to go thru another fitting, as I was a "fast track" patient the first time, only took a day and one fitting, now they don't seem to want to take the time with me. I'm a full-paying patient and these things are not cheap, so I feel kind of sluffed off.

I don't have the size in millimeters, but they are definitely not the size of a quarter and I am still suffering with pain from the uncovered areas. THANKS for any input from fellow wearers.
    Charon

To give you some idea on mine... If I look straight at a mirror, the distance from the iris to the outer lens edge is about the same as the distance from the edge to the outer corner of my eye. On the nasal sides the distance from lens edge to corner is smaller than from iris to lens edge.

I don't think I would be comfortable with larger lenses than I have. I think they would be more difficult to get in and tougher on my eyelids.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks for your informative reply, Rebecca.
      I have more space uncovered on the nasal sides than you do, but less on the outer corners. Those inner corners uncovered are burny.
      Charon
      Last edited by charon8; 19-Oct-2006, 14:21.

Comment

I had an iol implant in my left eye with an incision in the scleral/limbal position. It was two years ago and my lens are from one year ago. This spot is causing me problems. The cut was only tiny needing no stitches, but the pain is there. Part of my need for a return to the clinic.

I think my sclerals are 18.5 mm and are likely the size of Rebecca's. I thought they were 25mm (don't ask why I thought that-don't know) until I asked Dr. Johns just recently and she corrected me. A 25 mm lens might go partway to my ear.
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Whats an iol implant??? I'm going to call BSF to see how large my lenses are.
          Thanks for replying
          Charon

Comment

iol stands for something like (intra-ocular lens). This is a lens placed into the eye when the darkened cataract lens is removed. A small incision is made and this tiny folded lens is inserted after the shattered (by laser) cataract is removed.

Obviously, if you don't have cataracts.................They also use this for some types of refractive correction, but I'd rather not get into a discussion I know nothing about.
            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
            X