Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just had my first Prose fitting, could really use some help!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just had my first Prose fitting, could really use some help!

First Prose fitting, not in Boston but at an afilliated clinic with a Doctor who was trained at BFS. I had to decide between Jupiter and Prose and while I wait for the insurance answer I need your feedback!
    When I asked the doctor if she would be using any sort of topography to fit them she said no. Was topography used in your fitting? How else are they supposed to fit them? I would hope she is using the exact same thing as BFS uses to measure.
    Basically I tried on a generic pair and told her where it was uncomfortable. It didn't seem like she used any machines to measure my eyes for my first pair. I was frankly underwhelmed with the whole experience.
    When I had the test lenses in my vision seemed warped. It was like looking in a funhouse mirror. Things just didn't look right. Is that how scleral lenses are in general or could it be another reason?
    Once you do get fit how much is it getting another pair if your prescription changes or if one breaks?
    Jupiter lenses at the Mayo clinic are dramatically cheaper and I just wanted to see if prose are worth it over Jupiter's and if it sounds like I'm getting the full BFS experience because I'm paying the same for it. Thanks for the help!

I don't remember if my doctor did any topography or not. So much of the experience is a blur. Still, I do remember we tried a generic pair to check fit. Eventually we ordered a pair that was custom-made for me, with my prescription (not generic). Once we had those, I practiced with them and wore them for a period of time and then went back to the office for a check up. We determined that I needed a looser fit on one side due to some scar tissue so we ordered another pair and went from there with me wearing them for a period of time to test them. The second pair also had my prescription in them. With my lenses, I have better than 20/20 vision, they are slightly over-corrected but I can see very well with them, no warped feeling. Is it possible that the warped feeling was because they were test lenses and did not have your prescription? This is something you should alert the doctor to and that way she can address the problem.

If one breaks, you can get it replaced. I don't remember how much it costs but it is less than the initial process because the initial process includes a number of appointments, fittings, etc. If your prescription changes dramatically, you would need to get re-fitted but it would still take less time than the initial fitting, most likely, because you already know how to use them. Much of the time /cost involved with your first scleral lense fitting is about learning how to use them since they are more involved than other lenses.

I don't know much about Jupiter lenses so can't address them but I imagine they are very similar to PROSE.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillips55 View Post
      When I asked the doctor if she would be using any sort of topography to fit them she said no. Was topography used in your fitting? How else are they supposed to fit them? I would hope she is using the exact same thing as BFS uses to measure.
      In some lens design systems, a scanning technology is involved in the rgp lens design process and in others it is not. Depending on your situation/diagnosis they may want a topography anyway.

My personal belief (from >10 years of being fitted with various types of specialty rgp lenses including PROSE): skill and experience trump technology, period - as regards the fitting process I mean specifically. Sometimes a marriage of the two works great, but no scanning technology on its own will get you there.

Basically I tried on a generic pair and told her where it was uncomfortable. It didn't seem like she used any machines to measure my eyes for my first pair. I was frankly underwhelmed with the whole experience.
      When I had the test lenses in my vision seemed warped. It was like looking in a funhouse mirror. Things just didn't look right.
      Sounds like perhaps someone could have explained the process to you more thoroughly. It is a process. Often a test lens is solely about the fit and comfort, not the vision. If they told you it was a generic pair, then the vision you had in those lenses is meaningless. Probably a test pair with some astigmatism correction which would make your vision very distorted.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
      X