Help for Removing Schlerals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for Removing Schlerals

Really hoping someone can give me some pointers on removing schlerals. I could have sworn that I'd sucked the right eyeball out of my eye several times! OUCH!!! I'm using a plunger for removal and have tried rotating the lens as Rebecca advised and also adding more fluid, but the right lens is a bear and a nightly nightmare. The left lens is not a problem. Is the right lens too tight? Thank you to anyone who can help as I am already dreading 6 PM.

LaDiva I sent you a message but yes most important is making sure the plunger is at 6 o'clock I also use the smaller plunger for removal not the larger white one. Do you have a smaller one ? If you are having that much trouble then yes it may be too tight. My right eye has gotten tighter but I can still remove the lens. I can tell that it is suctioned on my eye more than the left one though. Message me if you have more questions. Good luck !! Andrea

Comment

Thank you Andrea! I'll check your message. My smaller plunger is white, and the larger one for inserting is blue. I'm using the small white plunger.

Comment

LaDiva,how are the lens? Are you satisfied ?

Comment

Hi Irina,
          I am still getting used to wearing them. I am able to wear them six or seven hours now, but am very aware that something is in my eyes. It is nice being able to see better. They don't really hurt, just feel like something is in my eyes. The doctor said that feeling should go away. We will see. They definitely make my right eye feel much better, but the left is too wet, so I am thinking about having the bottom plug in that eye removed. Sending good wishes to you Irina, and Andrea too.

Comment

Hi LaDiva,
            Is removing the lens getting any easier? I find that i have the same problem with my right eyel but finally got the hang of it as of very recently even tho Ive been wearing sclerals over 3 years! The trick is put a drop of saline on the plunger, angle it downward a bit at the 6 o'clock position and firmly place it on the edge of the lens. Its so hard to explain the exact position but if you go on to the BFS website, there are specific directions with pictures. I hope you have continued relief! Please feel free to PM with any other questions. You are always so helpful to others as I have been reading your posts for years.

Comment

Thank you very much Amy, for your help and kind words. Andrea has been helping too. I started holding both the top and bottom lids open when I take out the lenses, and it seems to work much better. I am also noticing that while the right lens seems to retain most of the fluid throughout the wearing, the left lens does not. If someone can speak to the loss of fluid under the lens that would be great. I am guessing that the right lens is a tighter fit, and maybe the left lens is too loose. Thanks again Amy. Sending good wishes!

Comment

Ummm interesting because the fluid situation is opposite for me. My left eye which is very comfortable and fine seems to retain fluid. Now my right eye which the Dr says is tight and has settled back over the last year since I got the lens, loses its fluid. When I take the lens es out at night my left eye is moist from the fluid being retained but my right eye is so dry from the less fluid between the lens and the cornea. My Dr said he can tell there is a very small amount of fluid barrier compared to the left eye. Of course the lens is not touching the eye so it is fine and he said some people can tolerate that little amount of fluid barrier fine as someone else it would be uncomfortable. So looks like we are opposite when it come to the fluid under the lens.

Comment

Thanks Andrea. I am supposed to email the doctor next week, and have another appointment after Christmas. I'll ask about it.

Comment

Interesting.... I never thought of either lens being to loose or too tight. There is such a small amount of fluid under each lens I am curious as to how you measure it?? And have you had a visit with your corneal doc since you got the sclerals? I always have my physician look at my eyes with the lenses in and then without even though she is not a scleral lens expert. She can see how much fluid/debris/makeup is under the lens and may be a small help. And, if I may ask, are you wearing PROSE, Jupiter or something else? I do wish you continued success!

Comment

I have had my scleral lenses now for two weeks. The remover the doctor gave me seemed to kind of bend when I tried removing the lenses especially the left eye. Lost the lenses a few times on the bathroom floor which about gave me a heart attack. I ordered another remover from amazon that seems a little more sturdy and my lenses come out nice and easy now. A little saline on the tip and pull up and out. My problem has been cloudiness after a few hours, my doctor checked them the other day and the fit is good he did not see any mucus but did see some little specks of something floating around. He has ordered me another pair, he thinks it could be the lens itself and the company Atlantis Xcel had no problem with an exchange. I have evaporative eye and MGD but I do not get a lot of how would you say it eye boogers, so I am hoping it is the lens itself.

Comment

Hi Amy,
                        When I remove the lenses a gush of fluid fills my right eye, but not my left. I am wearing Zenlens. jwhitaker, the doctor told me to put a drop of Celluvisc in each lens with the saline solution just before applying the lenses. This makes the fluid a bit "heavier" and discourages gunk from getting under the lens. Thank you both for your help.

Comment

Same with me when I take out my left lens saline runs down my face. Right eye, the tight one hardly any fluid on my eye. They both use to be the same until the right one started to settle back more on the sclera.

Comment

Hi Alb. I believe they are going to finesse the fit and prescription when I return to the doctor. We will see. Really hoping I will be like those of you who don't feel like you are wearing lenses. I am very aware of them being in my eyes.

Comment

Working...
                            X