This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Scleral Lenses

Scleral Lenses seem like a good approach to try for treating my wife's eye pain. We know they have good results for patients with overly sensitive corneas. However, Kathy also has a lot of pain and inflammation in her conjunctiva. As scleral lenses rest on the sclera we suspect she may not be able to tolerate them because of her conjunctival pain.
    Has anyone else with painful conjunctiva or sclera tried Scleral Lenses?

I've used sclerals and I have painful conjunctiva too. You'll find the exposed parts of the conjunctiva will be on the sides but it's not usually a problem. The sclerals can also be made to a larger diameter to cover more of the conjunctiva depending on where you get them fitted.

Drops can still be used with sclerals lenses but significantly less without them.

Comment

My message was repeated twice and it can't be deleted, so I might as well continue with more discussion. Since your wife and yourself are avid travellers, I'd advise you to spend two weeks at the Boston Foundation for Site and you'll have a perfectly fitted scleral lens by the end of it. In Australia, it takes up to two weeks to obtain each new set of lens and is a long and frustrating journey. I don't have the option to travel otherwise I'd follow the BFS path.

Comment

Thank you, DCRdryeye for your replies. We may try the sclerals but we are going to first try serum drops. These seem to be relatively easy to get here in Melbourne. The Red Cross Blood Bank will make the drops once the correct form is faxed to them from the ophthalmologist. The fax number is (+61) 03 9694 0145. The telephone number for this area in the Red Cross is (+61)03 9694 2111.

Comment

Working...
        X