This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chances of infection with scleral lenses

I'm having a consultation for scleral lenses next month. Whenever I've asked about them over the last nine months I've been told that they should be my last resort as the odds of getting an infection from wearing them is too high. My current ophth has referred me but he also warned about infection and said I'd have to go to clinic at the first sign of a problem.

As I haven't hearf many negative things about them on here I'd like to know if many wearers have got an infection from using them. I really want to try them but I've been met with such negative responses from the doctors. This could of course be because they don't believe how bad things are for me.

You will never get an infection from Scleral lenses if you meticulously take your them, wash them with a specific solution after each wear and replace the solution such as Boston Simplus that they are bathed in during non-wear. Once a month a special protein wash should be used. They are high maintenance and a hassle to get in when you first get them, but if you find a good fitter they will be the best thing you've ever done for your eyes.

Having said that, they are not for everyone. You can only try. Good luck.

Comment

Thank you DCRdryeye. I don't think I've got much to lose from giving them a go. Would love to try PROSE but can't afford to go to the states to get them.

Comment

lizlou, PROSE contrary to many on this forum, PROSE are over rated and there are many other excellent fitters around whom will charge only a fifth of the price as PROSE. It's a matter of doing your homework on the optometrist, ask them - how long have they been fitting sclerals? success rate? does the price include ongoing tweaks, do they use an OCT machine?... I've spent 3 yrs with the wrong optometrist group and had over a dozen pairs custom made ($700 per lens) - but I didn't pay per new lens, the $1,400 included all the changes over 2 yrs (very good of them, but no use to me if failure is constant).

Having almost given up on Sclerals in Australia, I discovered another optometrist whom has more experience (35 yrs more experience!!), owns and uses equipment the other optometrist did not have, and has a good reputation. I’ve also spoken with the optometrist he works with whom lathes the sclerals for him once all the measurements are made. The optometrist whom does the lathing, has recently redesigned a Scleral lens with better comfort in mind and overcame problems with a previous lens. He was very legit and open to making wider lenses if I wanted them.

So I reluctantly decided to swap practices and give Scleral lenses another go. After a 3 hour intensive measurements, taking the shape of my eye, etc...my new custom sclerals were ready in 2 weeks. This time, they were a success the first time round!! both in comfort and vision - it was a HUGE difference. I was not expecting such a perfect result. I was able to wear them for 8 hours with no redness (an impossibility with the former lenses) and the cost I chose to go with a bundle package...it included a plethora of products, a spare set of lenses, and 12 months of free consults and re-fittings, tweaks and adjustments. Total cost - $2,700. Far better than $12,000 wouldn't you say?
        I haven't posted on DEZ yet about my new Scleral success. They are 20mm at my request and a rather new design by an Australian optometrist. However, many types of Sclerals exist. Comfort and perfect vision depends on the experience of the fitter.
        Last edited by DCRdryeye; 19-Nov-2013, 04:35.

Comment

I'm so glad you've had success with them - sounds like a lot of trial and error but it's always worth it if it helps in the end.

My ophth said he wished we had PROSE as an option in the UK but he said there is no reason for them to cost as much as they do and that they've spent so much on marketing to make everyone think they are superior.

I will get my lenses (if they are suitable) will be through the NHS so luckily I won't have to pay thousands for them.

Comment

My local ophthalmologist was totally against sclera's too. But I honestly don't think he even understood what they were. I think for some people it is life changing and therefore should always be considered. That being said, it didn't work for me.

Comment

Oh indeed, Sclerals are not for everyone and a few failures have been discussed on this forum. Some peoples eyes are super sensitive and cannot stand having them in. After all, we are having a large piece of plastic placed onto a dry eye. Whilst the liquid portion on the eye is okay, the edges and surface of the lenses can be difficult with them. Drops sometimes need to be applied to help the eyelids glide over the scleral lens and to moisten the areas of conjunctiva not covered by the scleral lens.

So a few people here have gone to BFS and don't use the lenses due to failure from extra sensitivity. Whom still has an old set of PROSE sitting in their draws festering?

Comment

My ophth said he wished we had PROSE as an option in the UK but he said there is no reason for them to cost as much as they do and that they've spent so much on marketing to make everyone think they are superior.
                Are we talking about http://www.bostonsight.org/? Isn't it a non-profit? with no marketing?
                Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

You make a good point LM, not sure what he meant then!

Why are they so expensive? I know you have they offer a full fitting process over a week or two but how could that cost them $10,000 + (not sure of the exact cost)

Comment

They charge so much because they want to make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ like many other ophthalmologists whom charge too much for procedures that should be less.

Many success stories for Sclerals whom charge $2,000 for two lenses exist. I cannot justify BFS price, I know they go on about having a multi million dollar facility. But how many tests does one need? I was fitted perfectly with an OCT machine (worth $80,000) and a basic Slit lamp. Simple!! Sorry, but I know too many rogues are out there getting rich from our misery and desperation.

Comment

Originally posted by littlemermaid View Post
                      Isn't it a non-profit? with no marketing?
                      Non-profit or not-for-profit: this just means that the profits are not distributed among shareholders.
                      Last edited by NotADryEye; 21-Nov-2013, 10:22.

Comment

Working...
                      X