Saline options for PROSE/sclerals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saline options for PROSE/sclerals?

Hi all - do any of you PROSE or other scleral lens wearers use a type of saline that is NOT either Unisol 4 or the Modudose or Addipak unit dose vials (eg pink vials of 5mL to 15mL)? I'm thinking particularly of the Canadian, European, Australian users who have other brands/types of saline than we have in the US.

This is on behalf of a minor who is starting PROSE. Extremely sensitive eyes, Unisol not working, Modudose going better but still not great. I have come across a few people over the years who are extremely sensitive to the pH of their saline. I know she can pursue other things to fill it (ATS etc) but wondering specifically if anyone has saline recommendations.

TIA...
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

I use Unisol or the pink vials but I always add a couple of drops of my serum drops to each contact before filling them up with saline. Is it possible something like that might help balance out the pH?

Comment

I was recommended to use 'Reclens' (made by Axis Pacific) which are 15ml Ampoules of saline, apparently they contain a 'buffer' and helps with comfort. The other is a 360ml bottle called Lens Plus - OcuPure Saline.

However, I find all kinds of saline not very comfortable compared to 100% Thera tear gel. I've worn my sclerals numerous times with saline, without saline and using only Thera tear gel, I've combined them, used other combinations such as saline and celluvisc. I guess it's a matter of finding something that's comfortable, and for me, it's 100% Thera tear gel. I feel the scleral lens less with it and it allows longer wear time without as much redness. Dry eyes are so very individual.

Comment

Thanks guys, just the tips I needed for her

DDE, I knew a patient in Texas once who had tracked down some kind of saline in Australia that was the only one on the market that had worked for her. (She was a scientist of some kind if I remember right and used to test the pH and she found that the Unisol 4 pH varied far too much from bottle to bottle.)
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by DCRdryeye View Post
          However, I find all kinds of saline not very comfortable compared to 100% Thera tear gel. I've worn my sclerals numerous times with saline, without saline and using only Thera tear gel, I've combined them, used other combinations such as saline and celluvisc. I guess it's a matter of finding something that's comfortable, and for me, it's 100% Thera tear gel. I feel the scleral lens less with it and it allows longer wear time without as much redness. Dry eyes are so very individual.
          I tried this as well but found that it clouds my vision and went back to Addipak vials. You are so right that dry eyes are very individual.

Comment

Working...
          X