X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's your vision with Sclerals? Near and far? Do you get both? Frustrated

Hi,

Although my lenses help a lot, it was disappointing to be told that either my distance or my close vision would be good, but not both. Without the lenses I usually, not always, need reading glasses and a slight prescription for distance, nothing major. With my lenses, I have to wear a string around my neck with reading glasses so I can see my face in the mirror (clear without the lenses), the computer, the newspaper, etc. all of which I can often see fairly clearly without glasses or lenses.

What's your experience?

Hi there TOJ - although I have still yet to get sclerals, this is one of my concerns as well. Perhaps your - prescription is a little too strong? I know that when I wore soft contacts, the lenses I had with a -2.50 RX were much better then the ones I had with a -3.00, and still allowed for reasonably good close-up vision.

Did you end up getting your scleral lenses through the Casey Eye Institute in Portland? If so, I'm curious as to what type they offered you (or if there was even a choice). And regarding the bloodshot eyes appearance, it could indeed be related to fit so perhaps you could have an adjustment? Are you using the Clear Care system for overnight storage? Unisol 4 for eye lubrication throughout the day?

Comment

I have severe mgd and been trying to get the right scleral lense fit for several months. The first pair I could see clearly out of but they were too tight and left a ring mark on my eye. Since then ive tried 4 other pairs but they all became cloudy after less than an hour. I worry sclerals could worsen my condition because it makes blinking less frequent. I believe thats why people who wear contacts are at a higher risk for mgd. My optometrist said I should try to wear them even for short periods to reduce pain.Its very frustrating trying to get a good fit.

Comment

I'm in the same boat with the choice between near or far, but mine is not nearly as bad. I started with a clear scleral so I could still wear my glasses and read and do computers easily. But eventually reordered a scleral with my prescription, and that is what I wear most of the time. I actually like having both though - so if my other eye (has a regular lens) is having issues, I could potentially wear my clear scleral and glasses and still drive. In reality though I only use the clear one on lazy saturdays when I plan to do close up work all day (laundry, reading, computers, etc). Otherwise I read fairly comfortably at arms length, or use my phone camera as a magnifying glass.

Where did you get your lens? My first lens fitting cost alot, but getting the next one with vision correction only cost $250. So depending on who you saw, you might not have to pay another fitting fee and be able to save on a second lens if you want to try a different prescription (maybe lower correction would still be clear enough to drive, but a little more clear so you can read a little better also???)?

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy321 View Post
          I have severe mgd and been trying to get the right scleral lense fit for several months. The first pair I could see clearly out of but they were too tight and left a ring mark on my eye. Since then ive tried 4 other pairs but they all became cloudy after less than an hour. I worry sclerals could worsen my condition because it makes blinking less frequent. I believe thats why people who wear contacts are at a higher risk for mgd. My optometrist said I should try to wear them even for short periods to reduce pain.Its very frustrating trying to get a good fit.
          Hi Murphy, just wondering what brand of scleral lenses you've been trying to get a good fit. If it's any consolation, I've been fitted up to 25 times or more in an attempt to get a good fit. That's over a 6 year period with different Scleral lenses, and they are in their infancy in Australia. So finally, saw yet "another" optometrist using yet "another" new technology (so sick of that word) and having another go. Anyone would think I'm crazy but these particular lenses have been better than all the previous Scleral lenses in terms of comfort. Whilst I've still had 7 tweaks (and more to go), I can wear them for extended periods whereas previously 5 hours was maximum before the eyes were blood shot red and in pain from them.

You have access to far more advanced technology than Australia in your location so don't give up. Heck, I'm still trying for a good fit after several years!! I can do things I couldn't do before so it's worth the persistence. The lenses have also provided 20/20 vision. Good luck and keep trying!!

Comment

I wear the Júpiter sclerals. I have pretty good visión for far, even having extremely myopia, but not as good for near. Mine are not progresive or multifocal, but i Heard there exist. Im just starting with the near visión problems so next updating will check them.

Comment

I just had my prescription increased (getting old stinks!) to over 2 now i believe, and now i definitely need reading glasses to read close up. It sucks since i do look at my smartphone alot. ALOT. I'll probably stick with glasses for reading though, since i drive alot for work and i like having superman vision on the roads and during walks (I'm a dog walker).

Comment

After 1 year of trying on sclerals i finally got the right fit. Mine are no name brand and cost $1800. I have MGD so can oy wear them comfotably for 5 or 6. its nice to have the opton not to wear glasses sometimes

Comment

Hi Murphy321 - how many actual fittings did it take you? What "no name" brand are they? Are they full scleral lenses, do you know the diameter?
                  And are they rotational or non-rotational? Which drops do you use in them, or over them? (sorry for the multiple questions, but we have the same symptoms, so I am very curious). Thanks, and glad to hear you persevered with them and that they are at least providing you with some comfort.

Comment

Im not sure what the exact size is but it covers most of my eye. I think they are also therapeutic because my eyes feel great after i take them out. I use non preserved drops. I have to be more careful with the type of makeup i wear with them in. The person fitting me told me scleral lenses are safe because the lense keeps my cornea lubicated without touching it. Even people wihout eye problems should wear this type of lense.
                    I cant remember how many fittings. I went once every 2 weeks to once a month for almost a year.

Comment

Hi Murphy321
                      This is so good that you have a relief with sclerals!
                      I'm curious too-do your lens have a NAME?(Jupiter, Europa etc...)
                      Thanks.

Comment

Im not sure. Ill ask at my check up in 2 weeks.

Comment

Hi has anyone been fitted with a lens bigger than 18.5? I have had three goes at the left eye with 18.5 and can feel them all. My right eye is fine. Trialling smaller lenses didn't help but my Optometrist thinks bigger may be better? Possible my left eye is so masacred from a chemical exposure I can't wear anything...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Zygon View Post
                            Hi has anyone been fitted with a lens bigger than 18.5? I have had three goes at the left eye with 18.5 and can feel them all. My right eye is fine. Trialling smaller lenses didn't help but my Optometrist thinks bigger may be better? Possible my left eye is so masacred from a chemical exposure I can't wear anything...
                            From what I understand, fit has alot more to do with it than size. Are your 3 tries with custom nonsymetrical lenses? Or are they symetrical stock fitted off the shelf. Those things are the biggest factor for comfort. If you've unsuccessfully tried symetrical of the shelf, then consider the next process - have Prose do some evaluation to get a closer fit to your eye. If that isn't right for you either, go to the next step, which is to have someone map your eye (with laser topography imaging and drafting software, or goop poured in your eye as a mod) and create a custom milled lens to prefectly fit your eye

The ones I trialed for a day at U of I before i travelled to get custom fitted were distracting with their discomfort. I could have worn them, but would have been annoyed often. I don't have that with my custom 18". I sometimes feel it a bit with my 19.5 ( I think that's the size but can't remember) larger lens when I first put it in, .but the feeling goes away. custom fitted, non rotational is simply more comfortable . If you have irregularities on your eye, a custom lens creator may be abke ti adjust the lens for that like Dr G did for the bump on my right eye.

Comment

Hi. The Optometrist who fitted my eyes used corneal topography in Nedw Zealand. The first go was way too tight and unwearable. he then flattened the edges but the wear time wasn't great r and finally took out the toric component. The last fit was way too loose and I could feel the lens the whole time. So the only fit that was bearable was number two. He also fitted two lenses for the right eye and they were both pretty wearable.

He seemed to think that he'd done everything that could be done with an 18.5mm lens hence I was asking about bigger lenses. I started this year wearing bausch and lomb disposable torics for 14 hours a day with no problem. Then I moved house/flat late January and between Friday and Monday at the new flat my eyes started burning. My Opthalmologist suspects some sort of chemical exposure. Some poeople who have seen me at the hospital suspect maybe someone cooked meth prior to me moving in...

Comment

Working...
                              X