Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

waht makes you a canditate for sclerals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waht makes you a canditate for sclerals?

Who is a good canditae for sclerals?
    I went through most of the post but haven't seen thi sinfo.
    I saw that most of the poeple with sclerals have dry eye after lasik?
    That's not my case...mine is after long term contact lens wear, computer and bad MGD.
    Dr eyes caused by long term contact lens wear

Maria,

Try this thread for more info. Best route though is to call the Foundation to get more details.
    [QUOTE=Maria1972]Who is a good canditae for sclerals?
    I went through most of the post but haven't seen thi sinfo.
    I saw that most of the poeple with sclerals have dry eye after lasik?
    Most people with sclerals have them not for dry eye but for a different condition altogether (keratoconus). Dry eye is a much more recent application of sclerals and initially was mostly for end-stage conditions like Stevens Johnson Syndrome. For more moderate dry eye cases there have been a variety of causes among which LASIK is one. Of those who have posted here about sclerals, Lucy, Erik and I both have dry eye from LASIK.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

conjunctivochalasis

Hi,

I've had surgery to remove bilateral conjunctivochalasis last Oct. Is this surgery a contraindication for having BSL's? The surgery went really well, per my doctor.

I still struggle with really bad mgd, but mainly in one eye, interestingly enough

Scott
      Last edited by Nikki; 04-Feb-2007, 07:19. Reason: addition of information

Comment

Scott, only your personal ophthalmologist along with the staff from Boston Foundation for Sight can answer that question. If you're interested in seeking their services, go to the website and it gives clear detail on how to contact them.

Each case is different and to ask on this forum "if you're a candidate" is just not enough. We don't know. I have been to Boston Foundation on three different occasions and am familiar with the protocol. You need to ask them. Good luck on your endeavors. Lucy
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I'd suggest you read "Neil's back" on the sclerals section of the BB. Neil talked to the doctors at the clinic and asked THEM to describe what kind of dry eye patients THEY thought would be candidates. What Neil wrote (that I've pasted in bold text below) represents THEIR (i.e. BFS) view on who should come.

"If you are debilitated (I don't mean legally disabled. I do mean that you are unable to successfully manage your symptoms to any reasonable degree with normal therapies and treatment modalities, and that your OSD is interfering with your ability to lead a "normal" life) by your severe Ocular Surface Disease, I would wholeheartedly recommend that you talk with your primary eye doc about a referral to the Boston Foundation for Sight."

This quote is consistent with a conversation I had with Dr. Rosenthal at BFS about 3 months ago. I am holding off making the trip to Boston with the hope that trying various convential treatments will get me back to leading a "normal" life. Best. YGB

Comment

thanks

Hi,

Thanks both Lucy and YGB for your suggestions... am checking with my eye MD and Boston Foundation

Scott

Comment

Working...
            X