Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pretty simple one...Have Scleral lenses worked for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty simple one...Have Scleral lenses worked for you?

I see Dr McCleod in Donald Korb's office in Boston. Even though my MGD isn't resolved I couldn't be happier with the service. Everything is explained in layman's terms and I genuinely feel listened to. I wanted to say that If you're struggling in your area finding a doctor you trust, it's worth a trip up here.

He's next recommended we try scleral lenses. I've been diagnosed with a relatively moderate case of MGD which still makes my eyes a nightmare by about 4pm after my tears are completely gone for the day. My question is have they worked for people on this board? I'm set to get them in a week and a half and just wondered what I should be expecting from someone who's gone through it.

Thanks!

CJ
    Last edited by CJ L.; 05-Jan-2019, 05:14.

Here's my post about it from a few years ago... http://forum.dryeyezone.com/forum/ar...l-lens-fitting

They helped, but ultimately I had to stop wearing them because they worsened my eye pain when the lenses were removed (i.e. made my lens-free eyes worse than they were before sclerals). Your mileage may vary though... I'm post-LASIK and apparently we're harder to fit comfortably.

Comment

Also, in that thread, I posted on Jan of 2014 that "The visit to BFS definitely wasn't a waste since the treatments that Dr. Rosenthal prescribed for me seem to have helped me leap forwards in terms of what my eyes can handle. "

Those treatments are naltrexone 0.0035% eye drops (massively helpful for me when I was using them), and dextromethorphan 30mg 4 times daily (the same med you find in cough syrup... read the label, talk to your doc before trying it though). Also, I was using an LED light machine as described in this post: http://forum.dryeyezone.com/forum/ar...directions-etc
      Last edited by SAAG; 03-Jan-2019, 14:21.

Comment

When I initially got sclerals (Boston PROSE), it gave me immediate relief and I could resume working full-time again including on the computer for about half a year without discomfort. Then my eyes continued to get severely drier to the point I had virtually no tear film and the surface of my eyes were like sandpaper, so I could no longer bear to wear my sclerals anymore and ultimately became homebound for three years. After I was able to get a little tear film back from probing and diet changes, I was able to wear my sclerals again. I’ve been wearing them for over three years now, on average 10-12 hours a day, and it is definitely a key part of my regimen to protect my eyes and give me more comfort in doing daily activities. Here’s my story, in case there’s something here that may help you:

https://www.dryeyestories.com/new-bl...ous-deficiency

Not everyone can tolerate sclerals, but if you can, they can be so helpful. You have the best success being able to wear them with an experienced scleral fitter. Likely you are in good hands at Dr. Korb’s office, as many would like to see someone as reputable as him and likely also his associates. Hope it all works out for you!

Comment

Sadly I simply couldn't tolerate them. Couldn't tolerate the cleansers, what they were filled with, nothing. By the time I got all that sorted out my eyes said f*** this, leave me alone....sigh

Comment

Working...
          X