This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Experience with Boston Foundation for Sight

I have lasik induced dry eye and eye pain which has been a major issue in my life. I have treated with numerous doctors and have diligently tried to remedy my condition.

Having gone through all options of which I knew, about one year ago, I read about the scleral lens being used by Dr. Rosenthal and the Boston Foundation for Sight. I called and spoke with Mr. Rosenthal at the BFS about my condition and about whether or not I might be a suitable candidate for the scleral lenses. He requested that I send my medical records which I did. Mr. Rosenthal called me back and informed me that the BFS had been able to help quite a number of people with my condition. I expressed to him that I was skeptical having been informed by several doctors (all of them lasik docs) that they could provide me with significant relief with their treatment (usually some form of eye drop).

I explained to Mr. Rosenthal that, because of my condition, I had not been able to work and that I did not want to spend the money traveling to Boston unless the BFS felt like there was a good chance that it could help me. Mr. Rosenthal was very enthusiastic about my chances of obtaining significant relief for my condition. In fact, he quoted me some statistic which was that ninety something percent of patient's with my condition had left the BFS having achieved significant relief with the use of the scleral lenses.

After I had one lens in my eye for about fifteen minutes, Dr. Rosenthal asked me if it was giving me any relief. I informed him that it was not, and he then informed me... that, if I didn't experience relief pretty soon after the lens was inserted, it was very unlikely that it would help me. Dr. Rosenthal's assistant... came in the treating room and informed me that there was nothing else that the BFS could do for me. That was it. I traveled all the way from Tennessee to Boston.
    Last edited by Rebecca Petris; 18-Jun-2007, 13:36. Reason: Inappropriate nature of comments.

Ross, I am extremely sorry to hear that you are not able to be helped by sclerals and that you found your visit so disappointing.

However, I need to make it clear to all users here that Dry Eye Talk is not, under any circumstances, to be used as a place to rant about your bad experience with a named doctor or to make personal negative comments about named doctors. In a case like this it is sufficient to explain that your evaluation at BFS was not a success. - I understand the need to vent, I am just saying that this public forum is not the place to vent about named individuals.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
    X