To all the sclera users---

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To all the sclera users---

I have a planned trip to visit BFS and I'm excited to give it a shot.

Does anyone have aqueous deficiency? I have very little tears and fear my eyes will not wet the lens. I'm worried it will further damage my eyes.

Thank you and looking forward to your responses!

Originally posted by Dryeye22

Does anyone have aqueous deficiency? I have very little tears and fear my eyes will not wet the lens. I'm worried it will further damage my eyes.
    I have some... honestly don't know how much. Haven't had an anaesthetized schirmer in recent memory.

The lenses can't damage your corneas because the corneas are under a fluid bath. So if you're extremely dry, the question is whether your conjunctiva on the underside of your lids (upper particularly) can be kept sufficiently lubricated for comfort. It may need help... like drops and eyewear. I wouldn't sweat it at this stage though.

Do you guys remember the story of all those people who suffered severe burning unawares, caused by broken hallide bulbs in a gym during a teacher training? Well I got back in touch with one of them recently and she had been successfully fitted with sclerals and is doing very well with them. The other patients are planning to be fitted as well. We're talking people who are housebound and in misery beyond what most people on this board have experienced. I thought that was remarkable. It was in the BFS newsletter.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Boston Scleral Lens

Rebecca,

I have mild to moderate conjunctivochalasis on the eye not the upper lid, I am wondering if you know of anyone with conjunctivochalasis that had a successful out come with these lens. I live in Minnesota and would travel to Boston if there is any chance of success.

thanks
      ettna
      Last edited by ettna; 23-Aug-2007, 12:11. Reason: wanted to add conjunctivochalasis not on the upper lid but on the eyeball itself.

Comment

Originally posted by ettna
        I have mild to moderate conjunctivochalasis on the eye not the upper lid, I am wondering if you know of anyone with conjunctivochalasis that had a successful out come with these lens. I live in Minnesota and would travel to Boston if there is any chance of success.

thanks
        ettna
        I'm afraid I don't have much insight on this.

I believe there are a couple of people out there diagnosed with conjunctivochalasis who had conjunctival reconstruction with AMT, where there ocular surface did not improve and who subsequently were successfully fitted with sclerals (also one who was not, but I don't recall the specifics or reasons). But I don't know anything about what role it would - or wouldn't - play in fitting or likelihood of success. Best to make contact with BFS for more info about this.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
        X