X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. G - scleral lens

Dr. G,

last august i had a scleral fitting in london. i was terribly disapointed because i was given only 2 lenses to try for each eye. when neither of them worked due to extreme discomfort, i was told that is "the end of the road" and no further adjustment or "tweaking" to better fit my eyes can be made. i ended up purchasing one lens that i could wear in my left eye for last than 1 hour. and frankly since my return, it is still sitting there. i am told one of the reasons for BSL's success is its superior technological advance lathing machine and the vast library of trial lenses. they treat good fit as the first criteria. may you explain to me how your fitting process would be like? i am very afraid to go all the way (i am in asia) and just given a pre-fab lens and it's down to whether I fit the lens instead of having the lens fit me situation.

i feel there's therapeutic value to this lens but the poor fit really defeats the purpose of adding another layer of discomfort. i wanted to rip my lens out in 30 minuts of wear. i just couldn't understand why people who wore BSL tells me they can comfortable wear it for 14 - 16 hours a day.

i am confused, and any comments is most appreciated.

chris c

Chris,

Empirical fitting using trial lenses is the traditional approach. Topography can be used for smaller lenses, but it doesn't measure out onto the sclera, and so isn't much help for scleral lenses.

Recently, I have been using a novel approach that gets me much closer more quickly than using trial lenses. I then send this information to a local lab, where advanced lathing machines are used to cut the lens. I would say that I am about one or two weeks of having the bugs completely worked out with the lab. In fact, we are having a meeting on Thursday to iron out these remaining issues.

I publish a newsletter that goes into more detail than I can go into here, and would be happy to put you on the distribution list for the next one. You can PM me with your email, or send it directly to my email.

Comment

please check you pm box.

Dr. G,

that sounds promising. i am looking forward to hearing more on your development.

chris c

Comment

Yes, it is. I'll be working on the newsletter this weekend. It is very promising, indeed. I'll be receiving a batch of lenses for 5 different patients next week.

Comment

Working...
        X