Whats next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats next

So I've failed sclerals. They helped a bit but not enough to make a substantial difference in my life. I am scared the only thing next is to sew my lids. I would never of thought of this a while ago but now it seems it may be my last resort. ANyone know of the surgery?

Kim
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Hang in there!!

Kim -

((((((((hugs))))))))). That really stinks! I had high hopes for you and the sclerals. Were they a custom fit like BFS would provide? That could make a huge difference.

I think the surgery you are referring to is tarsography - Dr. L discusses it in his book. I know he is your doc and could probably provide more information.

Please hang in there! I am sending you warm, healing thoughts!!

MDE

Comment

Kim, can you tell us what you are experiencing and why you think the sclerals failed? Maybe you are just going through a bad period and it will get better.

Have you thought about the Synergeyes lenses as an alternative? Sounds like RubySlippers is successful with those---that might be an option.

Calli

Comment

Hey Kim,

I just wanted to say to hang in there. I have had so many ups and downs the last year and a half. From my experience it takes many many different things to find help and it is the combination of these things and trial and error. I know that probably doesn't make you feel feel a lot better but I do know what it feels like to really hope something will make me 'normal' and it only helps a little bit or not much at all..

I have finally found some relief after all this time. I finally found a doctor who I trust and who really seems to know how to help me. Thankfully, we all have this site where we can help one another and provide advise or just an ear to listen.

Hope you are feeling better today. Stay strong!

Jen
        Jenny

Comment

Thanks

Thanks all. It is just so hard living with dry eyes but I appreciate all the support I get from this website.

Comment

Hi Kim- I am young too- 33 (not quite as young as you!) and I went through the entire sclera process (not Boston but Jupiter through an eye doc about 3 hours away) and three thousand dollars + a bunch of missed work days later I was no better than before. I just couldnt tolerate the way they felt- so bulky and uncomfortable and I was so self conscious. After they didnt work I was so incredibly depressed that I did not want to continue with life- I remember standing in the shower looking at my razor thinking "if only". Anyway, after much positive self talk I decided to go back to just working on the "root cause" of the eye pain. Anyway, I completely know how you feel after the sclera let down. Good luck- you are in my prayers.
            Last edited by autumnn; 09-Sep-2008, 21:03.

Comment

Kim, I was struck by your language as you started this thread: "I've failed sclerals."

I don't wish to be accused of being overly philosophical nor overly grammatical here, but I was wondering why you didn't write: "< this particular brand of > sclerals failed me."

My experience is that, to the extent that anyone failed anyone (I'm a dry-eyed post-Lasik starbursts-and-halos person), it was the medical profession that failed me. Not the reverse!

Please believe that solutions are possible, Kim. I believe that you just haven't found your particular one yet.

I also believe that you are a known and valued member here, helping other people by telling your story.

Comment

Kim, I am so sorry to hear that sclerals are not working for you. Hang in there, I'm rooting for you to find something else that will work.

I'm also sending many virtual hugs your way.

Comment

MD appt

So I went to see my eye doctor. Nothing more he can do for me. He suggested I wear WIleys or Panoptx indoors as well as outdoors. I have tried that before with no avail. I feel really screwed these days.

Comment

Hi,

So, what does the doctor who dispensed the scleral lenses have to say?

Can you define the problem for us? Is it one that the eyes continue to burn even though they are covered by the lens? Or is it that the lens itself is uncomfortable so any benefit you achieve of having the cornea moist in the "bowl" is negated by the discomfort of the lens itself?

Comment

Eyes are raw

My eyes continue to burn despite the lens.

Comment

Burning while the lenses are in would probably have to be coming from uncovered surfaces (e.g. corners of the sclera) or the inside of the eyelids - at any rate somewhere other than the corneal surface. Have you discussed this with the doctor who fitted them? How do they explain it?

Also, Kim, have you tried serum drops. They seem to work well for people whose main symptom is burning.
                        Rebecca Petris
                        The Dry Eye Foundation
                        dryeyefoundation.org
                        800-484-0244

Comment

Burning

Not sure where the pain is being generated from but know that it is there. DR. L didn't mention serum drops but would be tempted to try those. I'll be sure to ask him about it.

Kim

Comment

Ask your doctor if Synergeyes are an option. My worst symptom is unrelenting burning, but when the Synergeyes are in it is almost none existent most of the time.

Comment

Does that lesn work like scleral lens. Is there a fluid layer between the cornea and lens?

Comment

Working...
                              X