Scleral lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scleral lenses

I have a few questions about scleral lenses.

Can any optometrist or opthamologist prescribe these usually? Or are the only available from the Boston Foundation for Sight?

Are people with corneas in really bad shape the only people who are usually candidates for them? Or can they be prescribed to any dry eye sufferer?

Are they normally covered by insurance?

Anyone have answers to these questions?

Thanks!

Originally posted by LasikLady View Post
    Can any optometrist or opthamologist prescribe these usually? Or are the only available from the Boston Foundation for Sight?
    The ones from Boston Foundation are unique (individually lathed on site). There are companies that make scleral lenses (just like other lenses). Many optometrists have a 'fitting set' of such lenses and they try them on you and determine what type to order for you and with the correct prescription. Theoretically, "any" optometrist can do so but you're really limited to (a) the ones that have a fitting set and (b) who specialize in this kind of fitting. Often it's optometrists who treat keratoconus patients.

Are people with corneas in really bad shape the only people who are usually candidates for them? Or can they be prescribed to any dry eye sufferer?
    They are unlikely to be suitable for just any dry eye patient. For the most part they should only be considered if you have exhausted all other treatment options.

Are they normally covered by insurance?
    Every case (and insurer) is different. I think it is probably harder to get coverage for them for dry eye than exclusively vision-related conditions like keratoconus, but I don't really know. I don't think most optometrists will bill insurance... it's up to the patient to file (and fight).
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks for the info Rebecca!

Comment

Working...
      X