Scleral lens cracked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scleral lens cracked

Ughhhh...my scleral lens cracked last night. I have to replace it now. Not having the best day to say the least. Trying to remain positive but some days I just want to cry but I can't--literally. I really hope I don't get charged an arm and a leg for the lens. I only had it for 4 weeks.

Kim
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Sorry to hear that Kim. Happened to me with a Macrolens once... it fell while I was removing it and I happened to catch it in just such a way that it broke right in half.

Special rigid lenses need great care because they are costly to replace... though personally my biggest worry about them is time to replace them because I would not be able to drive and would have a hard time working till I got them.

I always put a washcloth in the sink while I'm removing them so that if a lens falls, it lands on something soft. My lenses seem pretty tough (I've dropped them on the floor more than once ) but I try to be extremely careful with them anyway.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Scleral lens cracked

I spoke to my MD and she is ordering me a new one and shipping it overnight to me. The process should take a week or so. Hard lesson to learn but a good one nonetheless. It broke because the plunger got stuck on the dry surface and cracked when I was trying to remove it. I know now to wet my eyes with some artifical tears before taking it off. Other good thing I learned is that they defintely do help. I am at the PC today and my eye without the lens is in far worse shape than the eye with the lens in.

Kim
      If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Comment

I always put some saline in my eyes over the lens AND wet the remover before taking them out. In fact if I'm sleepy and forget and the remover is dry, I usually can't get any suction at all. Glad to hear you're noticing some benefits. I think benefits of many products can be so incremental that you don't know until you happen to NOT use it. It was like that for me when I first started using the Tranquileyes goggle. I only noticed how much it helped when I skipped a night.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
        X