Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sclerals didn't work-need advice please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sclerals didn't work-need advice please!

I went to day to try and get a sclerals fitted today-all 3 lenses hurt! the 3rd pair felt a little better but after wearing them for 15 minutes my entire eye started to get dry again. If felt like the edges were just rubbing against my eyes and they felt like I had rods in my eyes! I was so hoping they would work.

Can someone please help. I am a little down. I had high hopes for these to help me. And it doesn't appear I am a candidate. The doc said I would get used to them but is that possible with the way they felt on the 3rd fitting? Is that normal?

Please help! I feel like nothing else is going to help!
    Jenny

Jenny,

I'm not quite sure whether sharing my experience will be encouraging or discouraging but for what it's worth: I had to get some kind of rigid lenses for vision reasons many years ago. It was more than two years before I got a pair of lenses that I could actually wear every day. Later, in 2006 I switched to Boston sclerals. I was fortunate to be successfully fitted with relatively little effort but even my "good" case took first a few different trial lenses then two or three lenses custom lathed for me.

Things are different now. My original lenses were reverse geo macrolenses from DrG who used to post here. His advances have been such that if I were to go back to him today he'd probably accomplish in 24 hours what was so much more challenging in the earlier years. Similarly the Boston lenses are rapidly evolving.

My point is that people don't normally "get there" in a day... but many people (not all of course but many) including me do get there, with patience and perseverance.

As regards the discomfort you're describing: Personally I'd kind of think of edge sensation as a red flag. I do know people who were uncomfortable during initial fittings but who got better later (not always of course). If you're being fitted by someone with extensive experience, I'd be inclined to follow their judgment about whether to proceed.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you Rebecca. I was there for over 3 hours and tried 3 lens sizes. The doctor has been fitting these lenses for over 25 years and I was referred to him by Dr. Foulks who I really trust. I think that what you said about the edges is right-my eyes constantly felt them-it felt like I had 3 or 4 contacts in my eyes and everytime I looked around or blinked I could feel the large piece in my eyes-I couldn't quite place where the exact sensation was coming from. After trying a pair for 15 minutes my eyes became very dry and then they not only hurt from the lens but felt as if I needed drops. From my understanding-they shouldn't feel dry like that. He also tried them w/ non-preservative tears that I use on a daily basis. The preservative solution was horrible on my eyes.

I don't think I am a candidate. I appreciate your reply. Do you think because of the way it 'hurt' my eye and I could really feel it that I most likely am not a candidate for these type of lenses?

Thank you in advance for your time to responding to me. I am a little down because of this as I thought it would really help me. Now, I feel like there isn't a lot more they can do especially when i have my extreme 'dry' days.
      Jenny

Comment

Jen,
        I'm sorry I cannot give you any advise, since I know nothing about sclerals. But I just wanted to give you some virtual hugs and tell you to hang in there.

I believe that KCoffiner had to get fitted 3 separate times to find a pair that worked. I also thought that it took multiple days to find a pair that worked...?

Perhaps Dr. Foulks cannot refer you to another optometrist or even the BFS to get a second opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
          Jenny,

I'm not quite sure whether sharing my experience will be encouraging or discouraging but for what it's worth: I had to get some kind of rigid lenses for vision reasons many years ago. It was more than two years before I got a pair of lenses that I could actually wear every day. Later, in 2006 I switched to Boston sclerals. I was fortunate to be successfully fitted with relatively little effort but even my "good" case took first a few different trial lenses then two or three lenses custom lathed for me.

Things are different now. My original lenses were reverse geo macrolenses from DrG who used to post here. His advances have been such that if I were to go back to him today he'd probably accomplish in 24 hours what was so much more challenging in the earlier years. Similarly the Boston lenses are rapidly evolving.

My point is that people don't normally "get there" in a day... but many people (not all of course but many) including me do get there, with patience and perseverance.

As regards the discomfort you're describing: Personally I'd kind of think of edge sensation as a red flag. I do know people who were uncomfortable during initial fittings but who got better later (not always of course). If you're being fitted by someone with extensive experience, I'd be inclined to follow their judgment about whether to proceed.
          Hi Rebecca sorry to bring up an old post, what do you mean by a 'red flag', you shouldn't wear them?
          I tried my sclerals i got again today, i was thinking about giving them another go, trying them for abit each day, and building up, like phillip did which took him 6 months before he wore them properly.

However, i do get this edge sensation, i remember in the past on certain occasions not getting it, but then on other occasions i remember i did get it.

Is it a case of getting used to the lense? or are some peoples eyelids just more sensitive?, i.e if there is ocular rosacea.

Also i suspect i have ocular rosacea, i have inflamed inner eyelids, mostly bottom. Is it not a good idea to wear them in this case?

Since my eyes improved somewhat with progesterone cream- they are more moist than before, i find the lenses dont dry out like they did at first, so they were comfotable in that respect and do help with symptoms. However, the eyelid sensation, and the removal are still the main problems.

Thanks
          I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Hi sazy,

When I said "red flag" I just meant a sign that the problem is the fit (as opposed to something solveable using different products etc). Whether they should be worn or not depends... really need someone to look at the lens fit under the slit lamp to make sure it's OK.

Unfortunately I really don't know about sclerals and ocular rosacea etc. Personally I didn't have a breaking-in time so I'm not sure if some things are just a matter of getting used to or not.

What problem are you having with removing them? Is it a matter of lid opening wide enough or are they 'sticking down'? If they're tight enough to be hard to get off or are leaving indentations on the scleral that may be indicative of a poor fit. But sometimes changing techniques can help. I always wet my lenses with Unisol or NutraTear before trying to take them out - otherwise they are much harder to remove. Also, I remember Phillipp giving a tip about rotating the lens slightly after putting the remover on, which makes them come off easier.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
            X