X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble wearing scerals with inflammed eyelids

Hiya

Since i have had some improvement from progesterone cream i decided to try sclerals again. Both my eyes have inflamed inner eyelids Causing MGD.

I have been trying scerals again in my right eye which has less inflammation of the eyelids (top and bottom) than the left eye.

Apart from a slight sensation of the lense around the edges it wasnt too bad- it felt quite good, although didnt try it for long. This has been the occurrence when i have tried it on three separate occasions.

I have been purposely trying it in the right eye to see if it helped because i suspected i would have more problem in the left eye due to the worse inflammation.

So today i decided to try a scleral it in the left eye. And i couldn't tolerate it, i could feel the lense round the edges, and had slight stinging sensations from the eyelids- not eyes.

When i think back to wearing contacts when i was younger (and im pretty sure they were the main thing that started the ball rolling by causing vascular damage and inflammation), when i began not to tolerate them i remember having these sensations but on a lesser scale, some times on insertion my eyes or eyelids would sting. I Now realise that i should have never worn contacts because of the vulnerability to ocular rosacea.

Anyway what i take from this is that you will have a problem tolerating scleral lenses or any type of contact lense for that matter if you have inflamed eyelids due to the extra sensitivity the lense creates to the lids.
    So if you have ocular rosacea or allergies involving the lids- you may have a problem.

Sorry for the long post just thought id share that experience- as it might save someone who sounds like they are in a similar position alot of time and money, wasted on scerals. And those who wear contacts with these problems not very successfully may rethink. Because for those who are prone to ocular rosacea or allergies it will make it worse.

Obviously its only one case, but the difference in tolerating between the more inflamed eyelids and less maybe telling.

Anyone had a similar experience with contacts?

Thanks
    I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

i too have ocular rosacea, mgd and sjogrens -i wore contacts until this started w/ little problem.. however, when i tried sclerals on to be fitted-it wsa horrible.. i too think my lids are way to sensitive for them.. i decided to not have them made since they are so expensive and most insurance plans don't want to cover them and because they felt horrible in my eyes! And i didn't feel any moisture while they were in.. I probably am not a candidate for them..
    Jenny

Comment

This is interesting, my lids are my 'main' problem and I was thinking of going for sclerals, I still might, as I'm a bit desperate for a contact lens solution but I suspect this could be an issue, it is with soft lenses, however I have my lid problem when I don't wear lenses and when I do.
      just keep swimming...

Comment

Sclerals not good???

Originally posted by sazy123 View Post
        Hiya

Since i have had some improvement from progesterone cream i decided to try sclerals again. Both my eyes have inflamed inner eyelids Causing MGD.

I have been trying scerals again in my right eye which has less inflammation of the eyelids (top and bottom) than the left eye.

Apart from a slight sensation of the lense around the edges it wasnt too bad- it felt quite good, although didnt try it for long. This has been the occurrence when i have tried it on three separate occasions.

I have been purposely trying it in the right eye to see if it helped because i suspected i would have more problem in the left eye due to the worse inflammation.

So today i decided to try a scleral it in the left eye. And i couldn't tolerate it, i could feel the lense round the edges, and had slight stinging sensations from the eyelids- not eyes.

When i think back to wearing contacts when i was younger (and im pretty sure they were the main thing that started the ball rolling by causing vascular damage and inflammation), when i began not to tolerate them i remember having these sensations but on a lesser scale, some times on insertion my eyes or eyelids would sting. I Now realise that i should have never worn contacts because of the vulnerability to ocular rosacea.

Anyway what i take from this is that you will have a problem tolerating scleral lenses or any type of contact lense for that matter if you have inflamed eyelids due to the extra sensitivity the lense creates to the lids.
        So if you have ocular rosacea or allergies involving the lids- you may have a problem.

Sorry for the long post just thought id share that experience- as it might save someone who sounds like they are in a similar position alot of time and money, wasted on scerals. And those who wear contacts with these problems not very successfully may rethink. Because for those who are prone to ocular rosacea or allergies it will make it worse.

Obviously its only one case, but the difference in tolerating between the more inflamed eyelids and less maybe telling.

Anyone had a similar experience with contacts?

Thanks

I too have given sclerals some thought and in fact have a doctor's appointment this Friday at which time I had planned to discuss. Like you I had worn contacts for many years without any problems. Suddenly the dryness started and the situation has become unbearable. I had read where it was thought that the contacts do in fact cause a physiological change to the corneas, which I am not sure is reversible or not. I have to wonder that we are finally finding out about the long-term negative effects of wearing contacts. I had worn them I thought pretty successfully for 35 years but maybe that was way too long.

Comment

Working...
        X