Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scleral lenses

Hi everyone,

Do scleral lenses only help people with decreased tear production? I've been suffering for a year and a half now. My tear production is close to normal...I have been diagnosed with mgd and ocular rosacea. I'm not sure if that's the whole story of what I have though. Would sclerals help someone like me? I'm confused on what kind of people make good candidates for scleral lenses.

Thanks!

I don't think it's easy to predict who they'll help (there are many factors in a successful outcome), but conceptually, they should be able to relieve pain emanating from the ocular surface, period, which it's reduced tear production, lousy quality tears or whatever. - When I was last there and did an unanaesthetized schirmer, I wet right through the strips.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by odydnas View Post
      Hi everyone,

I'm confused on what kind of people make good candidates for scleral lenses.
      Im kind of confused on that too. My MG's are messed up as well and logically it makes sense that BSL's would help for that. I know my Wiley-X's are a lifesaver if I'm in any sort of wind outside, I would think the BSL's would have some sort of the same effect, only moreso because it's liquid on your pupil instead of just the "nonmoving" air behind the goggle style glasses.

I got a predetermination from my Aetna insurance that they would pay for BSLs. I'm a lot closer to Houston (than Boston) so may try there but am skeptical at this point going there because the Houston facility is so new and it seems there's much benefit in staff experience with these lenses. I've been really busy lately with work and moving into a new house so have just put it off at this point.

Daren

Comment

Daren, that's awesome about the insurance.

The Boston facility is a unique experience and I'm sure it will be difficult to replicate anywhere else. However, the last time I was there (to have one lens altered) the doctor who worked with me was in training for the Houston facility. His name escapes me now. But he was very, very good and if I were enough closer to Houston than Boston to make a difference in the airfare I wouldn't let the newness of the place make a difference to me.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you Rebecca for your responses. I have another question. I'm seriously thinking of trying sclerals if I do not find much relief by the end of this year. By then, it'll be over two years. I think that a problem I will run into is getting a doctor to actually refer me to BFS since I do not have the clinical signs of severe dry eye (or even moderate dry eye for that matter)...only severe symptoms. Does any one (maybe Rebecca) know how a patient can get around this?

Thank you again!

Comment

Originally posted by odydnas View Post
            Does any one (maybe Rebecca) know how a patient can get around this?
            I'd try and find another doctor...

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
              Daren, that's awesome about the insurance.

The Boston facility is a unique experience and I'm sure it will be difficult to replicate anywhere else. However, the last time I was there (to have one lens altered) the doctor who worked with me was in training for the Houston facility. His name escapes me now. But he was very, very good and if I were enough closer to Houston than Boston to make a difference in the airfare I wouldn't let the newness of the place make a difference to me.
              Thanks for the thoughts Rebecca. I'm too busy at work for the very near future and they would probably have a fit if I left for a week and a half. That should finish around June so I'm going to set something up for then in Houston.

Daren

Comment

Working...
              X