X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston Scleral lenses vs others?

Hi All-

I am wondering if any of you out there have tried scleral lenses through an optometrist that was not from the Boston Foundation for Sight and had the lenses not work for you and then pursued on to Boston to try theirs?

I am asking this because I tried scleral lenses through a local optometrist (about a year ago) who never got the vision right and didn't take much time figuring out the fit (tried on 2 sizes) and when I got them home I gave up on them and they are sitting in my cupboard. Mainly I gave up on them because of the vision part because it seemed like I was looking through a fishbowl and normally I have good vision! I never got a great read on the "comfort" part of it.....

Now, a year later I am still in a great deal of pain in one eye and I am wondering if it is worth my time/$$/effort to try the Boston Foundation for Sight. Boston says that they have helped many others who have failed in other sclerals but I'd love to hear advice from the forum since we all here are in similar boats. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

7+ thousand dollars is a lot of money to spend for something to fail.....however, I'd spend my last dime if it would help.....

advice anyone?

New Scleral Lense site

Hi Autumn,

At the dry eye conference, they announced that they just opened a scleral lense site at the Doheny Eye Institute at USC. They said the best way to get info on this CA site is to call the Boston site. At least it is closer for you They said they are trying to work with insurances to get the lenses covered, and the more sites they have (the less specialized it is) the better chance they have to get insurance to cover it.

How are you doing with the Lacriserts?

Jennie

Comment

Hi Jeannie-
      Thanks for your response!!! You are correct, I learned this today from talking to Boston Foundation for Sight. Unfortunately they were saying that the doctor will only be in once a month and the fitting process takes so much time and effort that it could take up to six months of back and forth with the doctor that comes to town to get a proper fit. The man at Boston said that it seems more worthwhile to go to Boston where all the lenses and equipment are available and stay a week or two and leave with the right fit. But, I will look into getting a referral to Dr Wok (I think that is the name of the man who comes to Doheney in LA) and will keep you posted. I am just not sure that the lenses are right for everyone and hate to get my hopes up too high. Do you mind sending me a PM about anything else that you learned from the conference? The Lacriserts are doing great with my right eye....unfortunately my left still burns all day long....they may help with that eye but not enough for the pain to be below my radar......the most recent eye doc says give it a few more weeks- easy to say for someone who is not is pain

Comment

**bump!***
        does anyone have any ideas about this??
        thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X