This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Across the miles for Sclerals

I am currently under treatment at the BFS. I have been here in Boston since March 31st. I've had the pleasure of meeting such a wonderful group of dedicated people.

When I first arrived, I met the staff and toured the facility, then the work began! My initial consultation was with Dr. Carasquillo, then Dr. Rosenthal. My lenses have been perfected, and I am comfortable wearing them for 12 hours a day. I learned to insert and remove within two days to my surprise. I could never get contacts in, and yet, due to lack of options, I pretty much have no other choice but to learn this technique quickly.

The sclerals have helped me tremendously with the dryness, and light sensitivity. I put them to the test at the Nubble Lighthouse in Maine with high winds blowing in my face. I told my husband I was ready to remove my sunglasses, which he laughed at this point. I didn't realize I wasn't wearing them until I touched my temples!!! We had a good laugh. My eyes withstood the strong winds.

Dr. Rosenthal is making every effort to help me with the blepharospasms. This is more challenging than the dryness and photosensitivity since my lids contract and do not want to open.

I will be here until Thursday, 4/16th, and I choose to remain optimistic, putting my trust in God, and in Dr. Rosenthal.

It has been quite an experience, but I am so glad I found the Boston Foundation for Sight.

There is hope!

I too lift up my eyes to the mountains, another patient of Dr. Rosenthal. I've been ill for other reasons, which have affected by eye situation but am profoundly better because of Dr. Rosenthal, his team and the scleral lenses. I have ABMD, severe, fortunately live locally but have access to services that help patients get to medical care free of charge. I've been offering these charities as links for those who need then to get to the sclerals, but have been too ill to help much. Anita, at BFS, has the info, if it helps you. Feel free to be in touch for any reason, if I can help, or share my story, some already written in their last news letter. Best Wishes.

Rhoda

Comment

Congratulations on your success with your sclerals! I too have been considering a trip to BSF for a long time but want to do as much research as possible before taking the plunge. I see that you are able to wear your lenses for 12 hours which is fantastic. Are the lenses themselves really that comfortable or is it more that the relief you get from pain you would have without them outways the discomfort of having a giant piece of plastic in your eye? Have you ever worn any other type of contact lenses? If so, what type(s) and how do these compare comfort-wise?

Comment

BSL Comfort

Hi ALK,

In response to your question regarding comfort, I am completely comfortable wearing the lenses. I was fitted with 3 on my right eye and 4 on my left until the fit was perfected. The lenses also have the correct prescription and I do not need to wear my glasses, unless I am engaged in a good book, and want to read quickly. Using a +2.00 with my lenses makes reading sharper.

I attempted to wear contact lenses many years ago. When I saw that it was taking me 2 hours just to get one contact in, I gave up after a few attempts, and opted for my glasses.

I am sure that the fit is what determines the comfort. We went back and forth on which solutions to use to minimize haziness while wearing the lenses. I found the celluvisc works best for me. I only rewet (remove and insert) the lenses after 7 hours of use. I now use them for 16 hours, and almost forgot to remove them at bedtime on 2 occasions. I say this to stress their comfort in my eyes. It works for me! I only need answers for the blepharospasms I experience with my eyelids. Once this is resolved, I will be jumping for joy!

Good luck to you.

Comment

16 hours!?!?!!!! Awesome!!! I really am happy for you. If I may, I'd like to bug you for a little more info...

1) Do you notice any "spectacle blur" with your regular glasses after you take out your sclerals? In other words, does your lengthy wear of the sclerals cause you any blurred vision towards the end of your wearing period? When you take them out and put your regular glasses on, is your vision as clear as it normally should be? I'm really curious about this because I'm a post-refractive surgical mess with dry eye and a host of vision problems that are only fully correctable with RGP lenses. I've tried many, but they all end up screwing up my vision much, much worse when I take them out - the dreaded spectacle blur associated with corneal bearing RGP lenses - especially on a cornea already weakened by surgery. I'm curious if full scleral lenses still cause any degree of this even though they don't touch the cornea?

We went back and forth on which solutions to use to minimize haziness while wearing the lenses.
          Can you elaborate a bit on this? Did the doctors mention if haziness is a common problem with these lenses or does it have more to do with your specific condition? How bad is the haziness you experience?

Comment

Hi again Alk,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner! With regards to your question on blurriness, when I take my sclerals out and don my glasses, I have slightly blurred vision caused by tear debris, which I flush with Unisol 4 saline solution, then its gone. I am comfortable after I remove the lenses.

As for the haziness, having the precise fit will decrease this, but since I have zero tears, mucus debris builds up between the eye and scleral. Using celluvisc on the lens before inserting them is my preferred solution. The thickness really helps decrease the haziness. There are days that I will refresh them in the middle of the day, but then there are other days that I don't need to do that, and I'll keep them in ALL day comfortably.

On a sour note, the only discomfort I feel is due to my blepharospasms (eyelid spasms), which I will feel the edeges of the sclerals because my eyelids are contracting, they shut involuntarily and tightly, but when they stop spasming, I am comfortable again.

I hope this helps you. BTW, where in Long Island are you? I lived in Baldwin for many years!!!!

Heidi
            Last edited by heidi_vaz52; 20-May-2009, 17:02. Reason: Addtl question

Comment

Small world!!

BTW, where in Long Island are you? I lived in Baldwin for many years!!!!
              No way!!! I grew up in Baldwin! I just sent you a PM...

Comment

Working...
              X