This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more go around

Okay, I know this topic has been covered countless times, but I was really wondering about Boston Scleral Lens. I have little to no tear production. 1 on schirmer's and was wondering if people with Boston Scleral Lens (I know they dont' fit everyone) who have really bad Aqueous Deficiency, if it helped your symptoms drastically, IE you can live a normal life and no pain.
    Thank so much everyone.
    Last edited by ttdub; 18-Jun-2009, 13:19.

hi ttDub,

i am a 21 year old male, and I've had MGD since I was 17. I read on another thread that you said you are only 19 with aqueouse deficiency?

Have doctors tested your Thyroid function? also I know most people don't see a connection between the digestive system and eye diseases. but do you have any digestive symptoms also that you have noticed?

rhad

Comment

I agree with Rhad here: that you are only 19 male with aqueous deficiency!?!?! (along with what it seems to be meibomian gland problems)

I am 25 with MGD/ocular rosacea/allergies for 2 years now...but MGD in the young seems to be more common than aqueous deficiency in the young.

What explanation has your doc provided for your aqueous deficiency?? That is a very important question to address. It isn't very common for a young male to have aqueous deficiency. Have you looked into systemic issues? If your doc is not providing answers, get another doc....you have some detective work to do here.

As for BFS, I have not tried them and I am not really aqueous deficient, so sorry, I cannot help. What I do know is that you pretty much have to exhaust other options before you can go to BFS. It's more like a last resort kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by rhad View Post
        hi ttDub,

i am a 21 year old male, and I've had MGD since I was 17. I read on another thread that you said you are only 19 with aqueouse deficiency?

Have doctors tested your Thyroid function? also I know most people don't see a connection between the digestive system and eye diseases. but do you have any digestive symptoms also that you have noticed?

rhad
        I have been really thinking that I have a thyroid problem! I have a bunch of the symptoms. I am going to talk to my Reumatologist about it to see if I can be tested. I have an appointment July 6th. Is there really a link between thyroid problems and aqueous deficiency???? I haven't really noticed any digestive system problems except one that relates to a thyroid problem (hypothyroidism)

Comment

Originally posted by odydnas View Post
          I agree with Rhad here: that you are only 19 male with aqueous deficiency!?!?! (along with what it seems to be meibomian gland problems)

I am 25 with MGD/ocular rosacea/allergies for 2 years now...but MGD in the young seems to be more common than aqueous deficiency in the young.

What explanation has your doc provided for your aqueous deficiency?? That is a very important question to address. It isn't very common for a young male to have aqueous deficiency. Have you looked into systemic issues? If your doc is not providing answers, get another doc....you have some detective work to do here.

As for BFS, I have not tried them and I am not really aqueous deficient, so sorry, I cannot help. What I do know is that you pretty much have to exhaust other options before you can go to BFS. It's more like a last resort kind of thing.
          My eye doctor sucks and I went to a Rheumatologist about this whole thing and he did blood work for Sjogrens but it came back negative. I really want to know what it is. I'm going to really get to talking to my Rheumatologist about it. I also took proscar (finasteride) right when this started but I have since quit and it really didnt' help.

Comment

ttdubt, what other symptoms do you have besides the tear deficiency? do you have problems with your nervouse system, or Reumatoid arthitis? if you supply more information, maybe we could point you in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by rhad View Post
              ttdubt, what other symptoms do you have besides the tear deficiency? do you have problems with your nervouse system, or Reumatoid arthitis?
              No, I don't have problems with my nervous system or anything. I'm only going to a Rheumatologist to see about Sjogrens. They gave me a number to call to see how the blood results were and it said I was negative for Sjogrens. My follow-up is July 6th. I have constipation though I still go to the bathroom, sudden weight gain, my normal temp. is lower than 98.7 on average (all of these are signs of hypothyroidism). I had a bout with prostatitis, but I took alot of antibiotics and got it under control.

Comment

have you tried drinking more water?

it, might surprise most people, but we don't drink enough water, and it isn't good water either. The Tap water we drink contains alot of Fluoride, which is known to surpress or slow down the Thyroid functions. A couple of decades ago Medical doctors used to prescribe Fluoride to patients with Over-active thyroids, Fluoride Tablets, these worked well to slow down the thyroid, however today we have higher amounts of fluoride in our water than the prescribed amount used for Hyperthyroid or overactive thyroid disorders. Just thought this is an interesting fact.

try drinking at least 6 glasses of water a day.

you could try this also, add 1/4 tsp of REAL SALT to your water, and stir it in making sure you dissolve it well, then drink this once in the morning and once at night. along with your six glasses of water per day.

Real salt is completely different than the NaCl also known as table salt. table salt actually dehydrates your body, real salt is not pure white, because it contains all of its 55+ trace minerals in it, also it contains Iodine, which might help your body with the tears. can't hurt to try it. you can usually find this in a grocery store. also this salt is know as Unrefined Sea-Salt, or Real Salt.

this is just a suggestion, i am not a doctor, remember that.

rhad

Comment

Thank you so much Rhad for that suggestion! I was really wondering. Do you think it could be Hypothyroidism?

Comment

Get tested by your doctor, it's always a possibility. you could also just something as simple as a salt deficiency, as we don't consume real salt anymore, look it up on the internet you'll see the difference between table salt, which is used in everything and Real Salt or Celtic Sea Salt. table salt only contains one element Sodium Chloride.

its worth a try, I've noticed better hydration, and it affects my tear production, my eyes feel wetter.

rhad

Comment

Thank you so much Rhad!

Comment

TTD -

I am sorry that you are so young and dealing with this.

Have you looked at the link that I posted with the other male who had taken Finasteride? If not, I urge you to look at it and try to maybe contact the poster. I copied the link under "WHY,WHY, WHY"

As Finasteride impacts androgen, I would look at this connection. But you are going to need a very good eye doctor and internist.

If your Schirmer's are that low, you could be a candidate for BSL's. But only after everything else fails.

I think that you may want to start writing all of your symptoms and potential causes down and begin to do research.

You are in my thoughts.
                        Gretchen

Comment

Thank you so much Gretchen! I'm really looking into the cause of all of this. I really think it has to do with something like that.

Comment

Anyone who tried the sclerals with aqueous deficiency and how well did they help?

Comment

Me-I cannot be fit for my left eye. I have the lens, but after many attempts they were unable to make a lens to fit my worst eye. No-wearing one lens in my good eye won't help. They are in my kitchen cupboard. Lucy

P.S. I have Lasik dry eye and also Sjogrens.
                              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                              X