This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proclear contact lenses for dry eyes

I wear glasses but would sometimes like the the option of wearing contact lenses i.e.special occasions,a night out etc.I've heard proclear lenses are the best for dry eyes.Just wondering has anyone ever tried these lenses or currently using them?Would love to know what you think

I did OK with Proclear lenses (at least 2 years) until my eyes started to get really dry and inflamed. They were one of the few brands I could wear.

Calli

Comment

Thanks for your reply.I might give them ago

Comment

can i just ask calli are your eyes any better? The whites of mine are always inflamed.They look awful.I used to have lovely white eyes but now they're just red & veiny

Comment

If your eyes are red and veiny, contacts might make that worse---it really depends on WHY they're inflamed, and there can be many reasons.

For me, wearing soft lenses seemed to perpetuate a cycle of inflammation, gunk, dry spots, etc. My lenses would only "last" about 12 days before becoming contaminated, even though I was really careful about cleaning and disinfecting. I tried different solutions, but really the problem was my eyes---they were reacting to the debris load in the lenses.

My eyes got dramatically better in about 4 months after I went back to glasses and quit contacts altogether. That was in 2007. They are still stable. I use FreshKote drops and Dwelle 2-3 times a day.

I think I might be able to wear hard lenses of some sort, since they can be cleaned and do not absorb substances. But I am too lazy to try right now. My vision is poor with glasses because of myopia and early macular degeneration, so I do think about alternatives----I want to see better. I don't want to go back to dry eye misery, though.

By the way, my eyes are still very dry, but with rice baggies, lid cleaning, TranquilEyes at night, gel, and all the rest, they remain quiet---not inflamed.

Calli

Comment

I might not bother with the contacts then because i wouldn't wanna do more damage.I've ordered some dwelle & tranquileyes off this website so hopefully they will make a difference.I was gonna order a rice baggy but i tried a warm compress lastnight & my eyes were red raw after it.Can i just ask about the freshkote,does it leave a white crust on your eyelashes?

Comment

FreshKote leaves a residue. It's like Dwelle in that respect. You just have to take a damp tissue and wipe the excess from your eyelids. Sometimes a little crusts up if you miss some, but it's not WHITE, white or anything. My main problem with it is that it's a prescription and my insurance doesn't cover the cost and it's expensive.

Calli

Comment

Proclear didn't work for me, my eyes sucked the water out of them! you can actually google proclear and dry eye and you'll see some get a fab result, some are like me.

My latest optician says proclears stick quite firmly to the eye and this can proclude moisture getting in too so it depends per person.
                just keep swimming...

Comment

Not sure about the contacts,might leave it until my eyes are abit better.Thanks for the info tho

Comment

Originally posted by calli66 View Post
                    FreshKote leaves a residue. It's like Dwelle in that respect. You just have to take a damp tissue and wipe the excess from your eyelids. Sometimes a little crusts up if you miss some, but it's not WHITE, white or anything. My main problem with it is that it's a prescription and my insurance doesn't cover the cost and it's expensive.

Calli
                    Im from the uk & freshkote is called clinitas here.Dont know how much it is yet,i've spent a fortune on drops

Comment

I keep a pack of Proclear daily wear on hand for when I want to be glasses-free. I think they are wonderful for dry eyes ... my CL doc in NYC says they are the only brand approved to advertise as being useful for DE sufferers - from personal experience, I agree. Tendency was for them to become more comfortable as the day wore on, apparently because the surface attracts water molecules. Big fan of these, though I loathe CLs in general. Bonus: they have a bit of aberration blocker in them, too.

Comment

MAKE SURE YOU GET TRIAL LENSES BEFORE BUYING! Don't trust the "claims" that one contact is better over another. I switched from gas perms after wearing them for 10+ years to soft b/c of dry eye. I tried four brand names. The major difference between lenses is material thickness. My doctor said that some dry eye patients prefer thick lenses and some prefer thin lenses. I tried two thick and two thin. Hated the thick ones (Proclear is a thick lens) and preferred both thin ones. (I also tried Purevision (thick), Acuvue Oasis (thin) and Air Optix (thin)).

Again, it is totally a personal preference. Don't listen to the advertisers. Make sure you wear each trial pair for a week or so before ordering!

Good luck.

Comment

Willwork--

Very good advice. I used to have the experience of thinking a lens was GREAT the first day. Then after that, it was all downhill. If you can wear them for a week, they'll probably be OK----probably....

Calli

Comment

thanks for all your comments.Will take them all on board

Comment

I just wish it was easier to try them out without having to make an appointment each time a new contact lense comes out!

Comment

Working...
                              X