Is it ok to wear lenses now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it ok to wear lenses now?

4 months ago I got a dry eye, it was pretty bad, I got an infection for a while too, and I went to the doctor every week in may, but since then I got eye drops and things have gradually got better, now I use the drops only once a day, down from 4-5 times a day in may-june, and in some days I forget about them completely, so I am guessing is it ok to start wearing lenses again regularly? (the reason I developed dry eye was because of computer eye strain due to brightness and not enough blinking, nothing to do with lenses).
    I put contact lenses in my eyes today for the first time in four months, they were in my eyes for a couple of hours, I felt completely fine with it, but that maybe not a big enough time sample to judge. So I am thinking I will wear lenses the entire monday and see how it affects me, whats the worst that can happen?

I felt fine with them being in my eyes, but I started feeling strange after I took them off, personally I am thinking it is because of my anxiety disorder that really empowers the dry eye symptoms. But the fact that I felt fine with them in my eyes means its okay right?

Comment

I mean seriously how bad are contact lenses for eye dryness? Is it possible that they dont harm my eyes at all?

Comment

Hi,

It's great that your eyes are feeling better - but I really think you should get your eyes checked before returning to lenses. Just to make sure. I know everyone's situation is different but from what I understand (and have been told by my optician and various opthalmologists) contact lenses can contribute to or make dry eyes worse.

What you don't want is the risk of making things worse and ending up not being able to wear lenses for longer! I completely understand you wanting to wear them again - I really want to wear my again properly! (especially as I'm having lots of problems getting a pair of glasses that work with me).

It might be fine for you to wear them now but just get a check-up to make sure. What type of lenses do you wear? It might be that a different type might be better for you (if you can wear lenses).

Anyway, I hope things stay good for your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieGreenEyes View Post
          Hi,

It's great that your eyes are feeling better - but I really think you should get your eyes checked before returning to lenses. Just to make sure. I know everyone's situation is different but from what I understand (and have been told by my optician and various opthalmologists) contact lenses can contribute to or make dry eyes worse.

What you don't want is the risk of making things worse and ending up not being able to wear lenses for longer! I completely understand you wanting to wear them again - I really want to wear my again properly! (especially as I'm having lots of problems getting a pair of glasses that work with me).

It might be fine for you to wear them now but just get a check-up to make sure. What type of lenses do you wear? It might be that a different type might be better for you (if you can wear lenses).

Anyway, I hope things stay good for your eyes.
          what type? I think they are soft 1-month lenses.

Comment

I don't know much about soft lenses. I've always worn RGP lenses (rigid gas permeable). I have a high prescription and fairly high astigmatism so haven't found any soft that properly correct my vision.

I've had conflicting advice about RGP lenses and dry eye. Some people have suggested silicone hydrogel lenses (a type of soft lens) but my optician and all the opthalmologists I've seen tell me gas permeables are best for dry eye. Maybe it depends on each person.

I think the most important thing is that you get your eyes checked and then you can discuss what type of lens might be best for you.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieGreenEyes View Post
              I don't know much about soft lenses. I've always worn RGP lenses (rigid gas permeable). I have a high prescription and fairly high astigmatism so haven't found any soft that properly correct my vision.

I've had conflicting advice about RGP lenses and dry eye. Some people have suggested silicone hydrogel lenses (a type of soft lens) but my optician and all the opthalmologists I've seen tell me gas permeables are best for dry eye. Maybe it depends on each person.

I think the most important thing is that you get your eyes checked and then you can discuss what type of lens might be best for you.

Hope that helps.
              yeah I will go to optometrist

Comment

ive been wearing the lenses for two days now... I think the dryness has slightly gotten worse, but I'm not entirely sure yet, it might just be huge anxiety due to new school and my eyes adjusting to the lenses... sometimes I feel fine and sometimes I feel the dryness, its strange, I think it might be too early to wear them tho. I will wear them for thursday and go to the optometrist on friday and then decide if I should continue wearing them or go back to glasses. Thankfully I have quite short days in school and don't have to wear the lenses for more than 7-8 hours, sometimes less, and only 3 days a week.

Comment

Working...
                X